View Single Post
  #8 (permalink)   IP: 96.252.225.5
Old 01-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Tayman Electrical LLC

Gary Tayman is on a distinguished road
I just now stumbled onto this thread.

Quick story about the Custom Autosound USA stereos:

Several years ago I was looking into becoming a dealer for Custom Autosound; not for their stereos but because I liked the Dual Voice Coil speakers. In the beginning I ordered a USA-5 for my T-Bird, and a SecretAudio SS to tey out on the bench. The USA-5 was fair, but could only pick up local stations. Sound quality of my Stereo Conversion (which I removed for the test) was far superior. Within a week the USA-5 started acting up; not holding stations, having to reset every time I got in the car. Plus the tiny buttons were impossible to see, and the display was so dim it was also unusable. The SecretAudio played on the bench for about 5 minutes and then quit. BOTH had to be sent back for warranty.

So I bought speakers and forgot about the stereos. BUT -- that was years ago. I began receiving memos regarding how they were improving their production techniques so as to make the sets more reliable. The stereos themselves were redesigned, and redesigned again. Sometime later I purchased another stereo to try, and this was as different as night and day! Then they introduced the newer "concours" series, namely the USA-230 and the USA-630, and have found these to be quality products.

So basically, if you have an older USA stereo, particularly with the tiny buttons, they are rather junky. The newer versions of these same stereos have brighter displays and rocker switches instead of buttons. These are improved. The current versions, with five large buttons not unlike an original radio, are pretty decent. The Stereo Conversion still outperforms the 630, but not by much. Quick note: conversions are rated at 180 watts, while the 630 is 240 watts. The 180 is RMS; the 240 is peak. In reality they are about the same.

If you want original look, go with the conversion. If you like the bells and whistles, go with the 630. If you're on a budget, the 230 is a good player, just more basic. The older USA-1 is still being made, as a few people still ask for cassette players!

Now another bugaboo -- speakers. The Dual Voice Coil speakers are great in the 6x9 size; the 4x10's aren't bad, the 5x7's are so-so. I personally hate ALL 5x7's. For a 64 T-Bird, you can install a DVC-3001 in front, a DVC-3015 in the back (if you have that option), connect both left channels to the front and both rights to the rear, and you have the full power and full stereo effect. Another option is to use the DVC-3001 in front, and Undercover Stealth Speakers under the front seats. These speakers sound great, and I would LOVE to put them in my own T-Bird, but my car has power seats on both sides. Someday I'm going to play with them anyway; I'd rather go with the undercovers than a DVC-3015 in the rear. Every so often I get a pair in stock, but end up selling them before I get to try them out in the car.

For a 66 with tape player, the ONLY option I know of is Stereo Conversion. The original speakers are 4x8's in the doors; you might try to fit 4x6's in there (which for some odd reason sound better than 5x7's), or you can go with the DVC in front and/or undercovers under the seats.