View Single Post
  #13 (permalink)   IP: 96.252.225.5
Old 01-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Tayman Electrical LLC

Gary Tayman is on a distinguished road
I would be VERY curious to hear the difference between the Kickers, similar Kenwoods, and the CAM 5x7 (DVC-3015). Generally the larger the cone area of the woofer, the better the bass -- but -- I HATE anything in the 5x7 size, and the Dual Voice Coils are no exception.

I personally have a Custom Autosound DVC-3001 (4x10) in the front and a DVC-3015 in the rear. Both left channels to the front, both rights to the rear. The front speaker is okay, the rear stinks; in fact it actually rattles, sounds like gunshots, if there's lots of bass. Now, before going any further, these are OLD DESIGN speakers. I've talked with the designers about the problem, and was told they're fixing it. Sure enough, new speakers up and down the line. I had tested another 5x7 on the bench and found it to be much better, but I could still make it rattle. Now -- this is with a conversion radio, which has a lot of bass. The USA stereos have less bass, and thus probably don't have a problem. I have yet to replace the speakers in my car to determine the difference.

It takes time and money -- and a good cleaning out of the garage, but I want to do some personal experimenting with speakers in my own car, to find out what sounds best in there. Then I'll recommend it to T-Bird customers.