Thread: rear speaker
View Single Post
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 96.252.225.5
Old 05-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Tayman Electrical LLC

Gary Tayman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie3002 View Post
How do I take out the rear speaker in my 1964 Thunderbird? Also has anyone ever used any undercover speakers?
The rear seat speaker is a 5x7, held in place by two nuts on end tabs.

To get to the thing, you have to remove the two rear seat backs. Fun fun! Remove the seat cushion, push and lift from each side -- this is the easy part. The backs are held in place with bolts at the bottom, and simply slides out. But you also have to remove the arm rests. Worst part of this is putting those arm rests back in. Put a piece of masking tape on the back of the rest, covering up the bolt holes. Then push the bolts partway in, so the tape will hold them in place. This is far easier than trying to hold the arm rest while threading those bolts.

Anyway, with those two seat backs out, the speaker isn't hard to reach.

Now -- honestly I've never seen an original. I know this -- if you install an aftermarket, there is a big gap between the speaker gasket and the package tray. This gap must be closed for proper baffle. Did the original have a bunch of foam in front or something? Whatever, weatherstripping from Home Depot may do the trick. Another solution I've used, don't mount the new speaker with the bolts -- just wedge the speaker down, between the two studs, with the speaker against the package tray. Very unprofessional but it works!

If using a stereo and a replacement speaker, watch the wiring. It's very tempting to use the existing speaker wiring for the stereo -- however one of these wires is grounded to the car frame, right under the glove compartment, with a big screw. New stereos don't like grounded speaker wiring!

Undercover Stealth Speakers -- I LOVE them! I've listened to them in the shop, I've even demo'ed them on TV, and the darned things keep getting sold before I've had a chance to test them in my own car. I have power seats, and they won't fit by pushing them in from the front. BUT -- last week I was looking at the seats from the back, and it looks as though they may indeed fit. I have a pair on order, and will try to fit them in my car. If they fit, forget that rear speaker.