View Single Post
  #22 (permalink)   IP: 73.119.90.72
Old 06-11-2017, 10:49 PM

fordrodsteven is on a distinguished road
Garage
I was going to have the car blasted but decided to chemically strip it myself. Yes, You are correct regarding primer allowing moisture through. and I agree that the paint does seal the surface from getting moisture through to the primer. I took an auto body course years ago and the instructor was emphatic. The primer is just a bonding agent between the steel and the paint. Primer is very porous and will cause rust underneath. I know this and I also know that now there are epoxy based primers that are better than anything that was available years ago. I am just putting on a temporary coating of primer which I will be removing in the future when I am ready to start the actual final body work and painting process. Yes I have been using rust-O-leum primer for rusty metal. I don't want to put any conversion coating on just yet. I have lots of sheet metal (welding and shaping) work to do and another frame that I want to get set up (302, automatic, disc brakes and suspension work) and ready for this body. As I said this primer is just temporary and will be completely redone later. I have an auto body supply house nearby and will be getting everything from them (compatible primers, fillers and paints) to take me from bare metal to final finish.
1955 Tee-bird modified, 88 Reatta, MOPAR11 #735

Last edited by fordrodsteven; 06-11-2017 at 10:53 PM.