View Single Post
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 24.163.16.169
Old 07-11-2017, 01:38 AM

Yadkin is on a distinguished road
Garage
Well, my theory of a clogged filter screen does not appear to be correct. I removed the pan and drained all the fluid out of the case and torque converter. It's more brown than red after about 1500 miles. There was a thin layer of black on the base of the pan and inside the filter. The filter was free of clutch fiber material, no clogging on it at all.

I've been using Valvoline Type F for the last change- the oil that I just removed. I don't know if that is the issue. I've heard some folks suggest changing to Mercon but that shouldn't cause the problem that I have been experiencing. Maybe I need to bu a different brand.

Another issue- unrelated. I had used a rubber gasket that I cannot find the receipt for so don't know the brand name. I used a thin layer of RTV black on both sides and torqued it to 1/2 of the OEM value. It was the first time in 30 years that the gasket had not leaked. I had a Felpro fiber gasket in my parts bin so used that, same technique. It fell apart when I reached 6#-ft. I removed the pan and searched for the good brand, and I hope that I found it: Autocrafters. I have not used that site and there is little description of the gasket, but the filter looks like the one I just converted over to a pick-up.