Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Tech Forums > 2002-2005 Thunderbird Garage

2002-2005 Thunderbird Garage All Questions regarding maintenance, modifying, etc should be posted within.

problems with power stering pump

This is a discussion on problems with power stering pump within the 2002-2005 Thunderbird Garage forums, part of the Tech Forums category; I have a 1977 Thunderbird and my mechanic put on a power stering pump but it is still making a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 70.215.129.179
Old 09-04-2015, 03:11 PM

jktokie is on a distinguished road
problems with power stering pump

I have a 1977 Thunderbird and my mechanic put on a power stering pump but it is still making a lot of noise and the fluid is coming out the dip stick. It foams and also it shoots out. Our mechanic does not know what is going on. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 174.45.155.196
Old 09-06-2015, 07:50 AM

HeadacheGuy is on a distinguished road
Garage
Welcome to the wonderful world of Ford pumps. The issue is almost always air. Though I have worse problems with newer ones, the older ones always were fun too. The way I do it is to apply a vacuum to the fill hole with an old a/c vacuum pump I modified. it pulls the air out of the pump right now. Most don't have access to one of these but you might find a mechanic who does as this was actually a recommended procedure on 2000 and above Ford (and GM). Alternate way to get ahead of it is to let it sit, refill it, jack it up and turn the wheels back and forth without starting it, let the foam settle, top of as necessary and repeat the procedure. Then start it for any a couple of seconds, let the foam settle and top off, repeat as necessary. After you get it running you may still have a whine which requires shutting off and letting sit for about 20 minutes to let the foam settle. (Now you see why I prefer the vacuum method). If after all this you still have a noise, either you have a defective pump or a restriction in the return line or reservoir.
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 70.215.135.254
Old 09-06-2015, 01:47 PM

jktokie is on a distinguished road
Headacheguy thank you for your reply. A friend last night told us about the jack up front and turn the wheel like you said. I will pass this on to my mechanic. He did order a new pump to see if that was the problem. Hopefully this will take care of it. I appreciate the infor. Judy