Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Bullet Birds [1961-1963]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Bullet Birds [1961-1963] These Bullet Birds are definitely a collector's car, so why don't you show yours off in this forum or just ask members about them?

63 falling out of park

This is a discussion on 63 falling out of park within the Bullet Birds [1961-1963] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; HI everyone, i have recently bought a 63 thunderbird and i am having some problems with it falling out of ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 99.174.239.119
Old 08-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Aames1127 is on a distinguished road
63 falling out of park

HI everyone, i have recently bought a 63 thunderbird and i am having some problems with it falling out of park, in fact when the steering wheel is set in driving position i have to hold the shifter to stay in park. Also, before sliding the wheel over it will stay in park no problem. Another issue is, when starting the car i have to start it in neutral and i assume these problems are related. I have read various things about getting a new detent plate, upper shaft bearing, upper shaft bushing, and a new shift handle. What im looking for here is someone who can tell me if all these parts are needed or any of them for that matter. and i appreciate all the help, thank you.
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 173.188.69.197
Old 08-02-2010, 08:03 PM
dans65 is on a distinguished road
Had the same issue on a few 65's I have had here. I have never replaced the detent plate. If you can move the wheel up and down then the upper bushing is shot. If it was me I would replace the lower column bushing, the upper shaft bushing and the shift handle, it wears on the detent plate. After that when its all tight again then adjust your neutral safety switch and that should cure up only starting in neutral.
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 99.174.239.119
Old 08-03-2010, 03:18 PM
I appreciate the help. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 173.74.104.18
Old 08-03-2010, 09:33 PM

Harley Eaton is on a distinguished road
I'm not quite grasping your problem. You state "I am having some problems with it falling out of park" and also "before sliding the wheel over it will stay in park no problem." Are you saying it stays in PARK or it does not? We probably need more information. When in DRIVE, can you move the steering wheel up, down, left, right. ie: does it move around? Is the shifting mechanism loose to the point you can't be sure what gear it is in? Have you removed the shift lever to see how worn it is? Is there a notch worn in it?
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 99.174.239.119
Old 08-04-2010, 02:34 AM
Sorry for sounding vague. When i start the car and slide the steering wheel over into driving position i have to hold the shift lever up to keep it in park, but if i slide the steering wheel back towards the center of the car it will stay in park just fine. when in drive the steering column will move about a half inch in any direction. Shift lever is pretty loose but not too bad. And no i have not removed the shift lever yet, i am going to get to it this weekend. As i type this i realize i should have checked the wear on the lever but i guess im just trying to get some insight to expedite the actual process.