Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Early Birds [1955-1957]

Early Birds [1955-1957] Have a Super Sharp 1955 to 1957 Thunderbird or just want to learn about them? Show yours off and talk about them here.

hard starting after 48 hrs

This is a discussion on hard starting after 48 hrs within the Early Birds [1955-1957] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; hi guys, peacock bird is real hard to start after setting for more than 40 hrs or so. if you ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 66.166.0.146
Old 08-30-2004, 12:27 PM

stude3 is on a distinguished road
hard starting after 48 hrs

hi guys, peacock bird is real hard to start after setting for more than 40 hrs or so. if you start it every day it starts on the first try. but on the second day you have to crank forever. it has something to do with fuel. i think somehow fuel drains back. is this possible?
i purchased an electric fuel pump and was thinking of inserting it somewhere in the fuel line. this way it can be primed without major cranking. any comments on this would be appreciated. especially about where to locate the electric auxilliuary pump.
also would a check valve in the fuel line work? seems like it would. but it would have to be fuel proof and flow adequately.
Thanks for your help frankie
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 12.218.216.126
Old 08-30-2004, 10:26 PM

TOM WRIGHT is on a distinguished road
If you could tell us more on your starting proceedures we may be of more help.
Things we need to know are, Do you pump the gas pedal?
Do you set the choke?
Do you have fast idle after you first stare your car?
Be detailed please
Thank you
Tom Wright
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 66.166.0.146
Old 08-31-2004, 08:36 AM

stude3 is on a distinguished road
Start procedure...Etc

The normal procedure is to set choke. Then crank the engine over; It catches and goes onto fast idle nicely.

After 48 hrs, you push pedal to floor(set the choke) and start cranking. After a few cranks...... nothing. Pump the gas pedal 5-6 times start cranking....... nothing. Crank 10 times....nothing. Pump gas pedal 5-6 times nothing. Crank 10 times....nothing.

After about 100 cranks( once it gets fuel) it starts up normal and goes onto fast idle. This of course is very hard on the battery. With the low output of the generator you have to run it ( at speed) for half hour to make up the draw on the battery.

If we start the car every day it starts on the first crank.

I tested it in this manner. After 48 hrs, when I now know it will take many many cranks to start, I pulled the air cleaner and put a few ounces fresh gas down the carburetor. The engine started on the first crank.

So my diagnosis thus far says that after 2 days the gas evaporates and/or drains back or a combination thereof. I noticed a small gas leak near the center front of the gas tank, where there is a couple drips on smoothe concrete.

The ignition is new all the way through and it checks great on the timing light including the advance function. It runs strong otherwise than the hard starting.

We havent done any carb work since we owned the car nor do we have any receipts from the previous owner. ( although we have receipts on everything else as it was well kept). But the carb seems fine during normal operation and it reads good on the pipe color and plug reading if you run it full and get it warmed up.
I am imagining air is getting in the gas line at some point after the first 24 hours. and the air leak lets the fuel run back all the way back to the tank. It behaves just like when you run out of gas bone-dry. you think the car isnt going to start;but when the battery is just about run down, it finally gets fuel and catches.
This is my wifes car. I would just prime it down the carb myself rather than run the battery down...until we figure a better solution. But I dont like her messing with it like that too much as it could be dangerous. My short term proposal at this time is to put on an electric pump somewhere, back near the tank??? With a small under-dash switch, so she can prime the carb with it prior to starting.

That is about all I can think to tell you. The syptoms and my thoughts. Thanks for sharing any similar experiences , suggestions , fixes etc

Thanks Frankie