Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Early Birds [1955-1957]

Early Birds [1955-1957] Have a Super Sharp 1955 to 1957 Thunderbird or just want to learn about them? Show yours off and talk about them here.

brakes - rod to Dual Master

This is a discussion on brakes - rod to Dual Master within the Early Birds [1955-1957] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Can someone out there help me. I just finished on my own a dual master cylinder swap. Disc where already ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 71.88.44.224
Old 06-03-2017, 02:56 PM

toms$$1956 is on a distinguished road
brakes - rod to Dual Master

Can someone out there help me. I just finished on my own a dual master cylinder swap. Disc where already on the front when I purchased the car but the person had left the original master cylinder on which was not safe in my opinion. I am just about done and ready to bleed the brakes but I just ordered and received from national a book on keeping your T-bird correct in the 21 century. It states there that the original brake rod is too short and I will need a longer rod which can be purchased from a number of suppliers. The problem is most of them only want to sell the entire kit. Does anyone out there where I can purchase the correct rod or how long it needs to be? Thanks for any assistance on this. Tom
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 73.119.90.72
Old 06-03-2017, 04:16 PM

fordrodsteven is on a distinguished road
Garage
I would think you could get an adjustable universal type brake rod from a racing or hot rod supply house. (Speedway. Summit, Jegs). First I would try someplace like Hill's where they do that type of conversion for people and they may have exactly what you're looking for. Just call the technical department there.
1955 Tee-bird modified, 88 Reatta, MOPAR11 #735
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 108.35.7.12
Old 06-03-2017, 11:30 PM

paul2748 is on a distinguished road
If I remember correctly, with the longer rod you have to relocate the hole in the brake arm to get the proper throw.
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 73.119.90.72
Old 06-04-2017, 09:46 PM

fordrodsteven is on a distinguished road
Garage
If the dual M/C requires a longer push that would make sense. You would have to move a little further from the pivot point to get more travel of the rod. If you don't know how far to move the rod connection point you could still have not enough throw or possibly too much throw. Hmmmm.... I would hate to take a hit or miss approach at that. Again, I would defer to one of the restoration shops or someone who has already done it to be sure I get the correct travel length. Or, I would have to trig it out rather than just take the hit or miss approach.
1955 Tee-bird modified, 88 Reatta, MOPAR11 #735