Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Early Birds [1955-1957]

Early Birds [1955-1957] Have a Super Sharp 1955 to 1957 Thunderbird or just want to learn about them? Show yours off and talk about them here.

1955 Rear End

This is a discussion on 1955 Rear End within the Early Birds [1955-1957] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; I think I have a problem with the rear end of my 55 TBird that was recently restored. The other ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 66.190.135.73
Old 04-06-2014, 11:20 PM

vintagestg is on a distinguished road
1955 Rear End

I think I have a problem with the rear end of my 55 TBird that was recently restored. The other day I noticed a black rub mark that went around the entire whitewall of the tire. When I investigated it I noticed that the distance betwen the rear right tire and the fender skirt was much closer than the distance between the left rear tire and it's fender skirt. I believe that the fender release handle on the rear right fender cover is rubbing on the white wall. Is there a way to adjust the rear axle so I can get equal distance between each rear tire and it's fender skirt?
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 204.237.30.217
Old 04-07-2014, 03:52 PM

gbhrps is on a distinguished road
vintagestg,

Several things come to mind far before looking at the axle assembly.

Are you running stock wheels and hub caps/wheel covers or have installed aftermarket wire wheels and spinners? We had a 56 that wire wheels were installed on, and found it necessary to modify the wheel spinners to clear the fender skirts.

Do some frame to body measurements at the rear to see if the body bolts need to be loosened off and the body shifted over slightly if both side measurements aren't the same.

Check the fender skirt mounts front and rear to see if there is an irregularity between sides. Check the locking rod on the fender skirt on both sides to see if the rubbing side is different.

Check the fender skirt rubbers to see if its folded over and pushed towards the tire when mounted.

Check the entire rear suspension measurements to see if due to shackle bolt tightening that the rear end isn't shifted over more to one side.

Finally, check the wheel mounting to the drum area for irregularities.

If non of those suggestions finds the culprit, you'll have to seek further advice from someone who knows these cars locally and can check your car out, or modify the locking bar somehow to clear the tire. Good Luck!
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 173.70.45.159
Old 04-07-2014, 09:55 PM

paul2748 is on a distinguished road
Also check the shackles themselves (rubber bushings) and the spring mount bushings as well as checking the ubolts for tightness.

I had the same rubbing problem and I tightened up on the ubolts and it corrected the problem.
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 66.190.135.73
Old 04-07-2014, 09:56 PM

vintagestg is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the great info. The wheels and hubcaps are stock.