Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Early Birds [1955-1957]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Early Birds [1955-1957] Have a Super Sharp 1955 to 1957 Thunderbird or just want to learn about them? Show yours off and talk about them here.

57 Dash Cluster

This is a discussion on 57 Dash Cluster within the Early Birds [1955-1957] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Can the dash cluster be removed, on a 57? I would like to freshen up the gauges, clean the faces ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 99.8.188.84
Old 10-04-2014, 10:46 PM

tbirdblog is on a distinguished road
57 Dash Cluster

Can the dash cluster be removed, on a 57?
I would like to freshen up the gauges, clean the faces and the glass and repaint the needles.
Thanks
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 76.10.145.95
Old 10-05-2014, 11:53 AM

gbhrps is on a distinguished road
tbirdblog,

These dashes were completely assembled before they were installed into the car. To remove the instrument clusters, etc., while still in the car is possible ...BUT...

Ive had the one in my 55 out and I can tell you it wasn't any fun. I'm 6' 2'', and lying on my back on the floor under the dash, between the seat and the transmission hump, working with a headband light and very tight quarters with long arms, damn near crippled me.

You often can't see the nuts on the panel fasteners past wiring and brackets, and have to go by feel alone. Then, some fasteners you'll need long extensions or flexible extensions to get to. On top of that, many of the bulb clip ends all look the same, so getting the correct bulb back into the correct location (oil light versus turn signal) takes tape labelling, or a good memory.

If I ever have to do it again, I swore that I'd remove the seat from the car, and have a skin full before I started.

Once you have the perimeter fasteners of the instrument panel removed (really just loosened enough to free the entire panel in one piece), most bulbs and wiring can be disconnected from the various instruments with the panel pulled 8 inches or so from the dash, by reaching in behind.

To get an idea of what you're up against, do a Google seach for "57 Thunderbird dash pictures". Scroll through all of the pics until you find one showing the back of a 57 instrument panel, and click to enlargen it. It'll show the small perimeter panel fasteners I referred to.

Again, it is doable, but it isn't any fun. Good Luck!

Last edited by gbhrps; 10-05-2014 at 11:57 AM.
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 173.70.45.159
Old 10-05-2014, 09:15 PM

paul2748 is on a distinguished road
As gbhrps said, remove the seat if your going to work underneath the dash.
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 38.102.47.69
Old 01-23-2015, 06:07 PM

tteal is on a distinguished road
I have a 57 and the speedometer has frozen. Since I am taking that apart, thought I would get all the instruments restored/fixed. Any good shop recommendations? Also at the bottom of the steering shaft, the horn wire comes out. It doesn't seem that there is a boot to keep anything from getting in it. Am I wrong?
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 173.70.45.159
Old 01-23-2015, 09:55 PM

paul2748 is on a distinguished road
Williamson's Instruments in Arkansas. While I have not had any gauges restored by them, they did clock conversions for two cars of mine. One is over 7 years old and is running like a champ, the other 6 years old with the same result..