Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Early Birds [1955-1957]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Early Birds [1955-1957] Have a Super Sharp 1955 to 1957 Thunderbird or just want to learn about them? Show yours off and talk about them here.

1956 New Convertible Top

This is a discussion on 1956 New Convertible Top within the Early Birds [1955-1957] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; I would like to fit a convertible top to my '56. Has anyone bought or fitted one of the new ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 125.237.147.88
Old 10-27-2014, 03:08 AM

peter1956 is on a distinguished road
1956 New Convertible Top

I would like to fit a convertible top to my '56. Has anyone bought or fitted one of the new reproduction convertible tops? I would also consider an original one, to refurbish, but don't seem too easy to find.
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 70.160.79.88
Old 10-27-2014, 01:25 PM
Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road
Neil wrote an article about this years ago. Very informative.
Prices may be dated but get up with him here:
1955 Thunderbird T Bird parts 1956 Thunderbird T Bird parts 1957 Thunderbird T Bird parts off California Thunderbirds T Birds | 1955 Thunderbird T Bird Parts 1956 Thunderbird T Bird Parts 1957 Thunderbird T Bird Parts off California 1955 1956 1957 Th

Your Choices in Soft Tops
By Neil Schebetta

> ECONOMY: Tee Bird Products offers a "replacement top" that has the outward appearance of the original with the main difference being in its construction. The supplier describes "it as a replacement top designed to fit your Thunderbird ...The size and shape are same as the original, however, this is not a reproduction". This top's main frame bows are made of electrical conduit bent to the shape of a convertible top with the front and rear bows made of reinforced fiberglass. The clamps used on this top are nothing resembling the original type yet they work very well. There is no swing arm or feet which means two people must physically fold top (weight about 30 pounds) to put it behind the seat for storage. There is no stainless steel header molding. All in all, this top works well for getting out of the sun or rain and is reasonably priced at $1000.00 in your choice of black or white vinyl.

> GOOD: Prestige's top is a variation of Tee Bird Products’ with the difference being the frame's construction and the use of original clamps. The frame is constructed of all metal with black baked polyester coating (for durability) which gives it a better appearance than the Economy top. Swing arm with feet is an option with this top. The stainless steel header piece was an option and has been recently discontinued The price ranges from $2000 for vinyl and $2500 for canvas.

> BETTER: Jewel's reproduction top is very close to the original top in most aspects with the feet and swing arm being the only minor variation. This top uses the original frame construction and is available in either early or late style with a vinyl or canvas top. The stainless steel header molding is standard. Even though some pieces of this top are designed a little different from the original (not 100% interchangeable) it is hard telling one of these from the original when it is on the car. Current price is $3500 for vinyl and $3700 for canvas.

> BEST: The original is either the early ('55-mid '56) or late (mid '56-'57) style. To clarify the difference between early and late, the major difference is that the late tops had an extra support arm over each door window. This prevents the top from sagging and also facilitates ease of operation, i.e., easier for one person to put up or take down all by themselves. Most people find the late style to be the more desirable of the two tops. All originals came with a stainless steel header with a majority being one piece (the three piece came on early '55's manufactured through 2-28-1955). The originals have the swing arm and feet and are adaptable to all three years (if you look behind your seat you will see two studs on each side for the feet). Early style tops work on '57's and vice versa with the minor modification of changing either the rear deck bullets (part #50590-$26.00 a pair) or the rear deck receptacles (part #50552-$80.00 a pair). Even though not all Thunderbirds came with convertible tops there are a few originals available for sale. Prices (if you can find them) for a restorable original range from $2000.00-up for an early style and $2500.00-up for a late style. Restored original tops range from $3600 (early)-$5500 (late). The main reason people prefer the original is because Ford is not making them any more and it adds to the nostalgic value.

Neil Schebetta
End Quote

Hope this helps.

Jim

http://www.squarebirds.org/users/Jim...ite/index.html
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 69.196.179.209
Old 10-27-2014, 06:07 PM

gbhrps is on a distinguished road
peter1956,

Go to Amos Minter's website (Dallas/Fort Worth). They have used tops and frames of both versions for sale all of the time, right on their web site, with prices.
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 173.70.45.159
Old 10-27-2014, 10:06 PM

paul2748 is on a distinguished road
I had a Prestige top for a couple of years on my 56 and it worked fine, looked good and was very servicable. I only changed it because I went for a fukll restoration and wanted an original top. Sold the one I had as it still had a long life left.