Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Early Birds [1955-1957]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Early Birds [1955-1957] Have a Super Sharp 1955 to 1957 Thunderbird or just want to learn about them? Show yours off and talk about them here.

Tonneau installation

This is a discussion on Tonneau installation within the Early Birds [1955-1957] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; I am new to the Tbird world. Just bought a 55 that is in reasonable good condition. I did not ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 216.180.76.199
Old 05-17-2015, 03:10 PM

saw46 is on a distinguished road
Tonneau installation

I am new to the Tbird world. Just bought a 55 that is in reasonable good condition. I did not realize how difficult it was to raise the convertible top by your self. Since I am almost always alone it is an impossible task. I thought I would install a tonneau that would be simpler to use. I cannot find any info on how to install and attache etc. If anyone has any info or a site with instructions it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 69.196.179.132
Old 05-17-2015, 10:43 PM

gbhrps is on a distinguished road
saw46,

The small bird top is a TWO PERSON job to raise and lower, if you don't want to do any damage to the top or the car. And when lowering it, always be sure to pull the top material folds from out between the top mechanism or you will cut the fabric.

As for the tonneau cover, National Parts Depot (do a Google search for National Parts Depot.com) has them shown in their website for $157. Choose your colour and get the hardware package.

They snap onto buttons that are on the screws across the dash at the windsheild, along the tops of the doors, etc., with a large zipper down the middle, allowing the driver access while still covering the passenger area if preferred.

NPD has four national locations and a different 1 -800 number for whichever corner of the country you live in. Good Luck!
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 216.180.76.17
Old 05-18-2015, 09:16 AM

saw46 is on a distinguished road
tonneau

Thanks for the info regarding the installation of the tonneau.