Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Early Birds [1955-1957]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Early Birds [1955-1957] Have a Super Sharp 1955 to 1957 Thunderbird or just want to learn about them? Show yours off and talk about them here.

generator pulley removal

This is a discussion on generator pulley removal within the Early Birds [1955-1957] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Does anyone know how to remove the pulley from the generator on a 57 tbird? I cannot get the nut ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 73.138.14.110
Old 01-04-2016, 05:34 PM

tbirdkidd is on a distinguished road
generator pulley removal

Does anyone know how to remove the pulley from the generator on a 57 tbird? I cannot get the nut loose the whole shaft turns when I turn the nut and hold the pulley but the pulley only spins on the shaft and the nut will not loosen. there is no way to hold the shaft I can see without doing damage.
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 69.196.179.48
Old 01-04-2016, 06:26 PM

gbhrps is on a distinguished road
tbirdkidd,

You may have no option but to remove the generator from the car, and completely disassemble it.

Once apart, put the armature in a vise between two soft pieces of wood (to prevent damaging the armature and its windings. The softwood should bite into the slotted sides of the armature and grip well. Then try your wrench. Good Luck!

Gene
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 73.138.14.110
Old 01-05-2016, 10:57 AM

tbirdkidd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbhrps View Post
tbirdkidd,

You may have no option but to remove the generator from the car, and completely disassemble it.

Once apart, put the armature in a vise between two soft pieces of wood (to prevent damaging the armature and its windings. The softwood should bite into the slotted sides of the armature and grip well. Then try your wrench. Good Luck!

Gene
Thanks for the reply I will try that option. Do you know if there is a key that holds the pulley is place?
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 173.246.154.193
Old 01-05-2016, 07:48 PM

gbhrps is on a distinguished road
tbirdkidd,

I've never had reason to have mine apart, and the exploded parts diagram I have from a parts supplier catalogue doesn't show enough detail to be sure, but from what I can see, I'd say no. Good Luck!

Gene