Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Early Birds [1955-1957]

Early Birds [1955-1957] Have a Super Sharp 1955 to 1957 Thunderbird or just want to learn about them? Show yours off and talk about them here.

Which carb to rebuild & use?Original or newer Holley?

This is a discussion on Which carb to rebuild & use?Original or newer Holley? within the Early Birds [1955-1957] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; I have a 57' summer only driver that I've been using a Holley #80457-2 for about 8 years. At the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 73.109.225.84
Old 02-15-2017, 02:07 PM

scoopieb is on a distinguished road
Which carb to rebuild & use?Original or newer Holley?

I have a 57' summer only driver that I've been using a Holley #80457-2 for about 8 years. At the end of summer the carb it started leaking right where the linkage goes into the carb. The car ran very well, started right up, idled perfect. I figure it's probably due to be rebuilt. The only problem with the carb is I can't run the original air cleaner with it without some special fitting on the gas line. I have the original carb a Holley#1237-2s. Since I need to rebuild a carb anyway should I have the original one rebuilt? The car is 99% stock besides the carb & air cleaner. I'd prefer to have all stock but would I loose the smooth idle or sacrifice anything else? Unfortunately, I plan on selling the car. :( It is my baby so I want it leaving me in top shape. Ant help or guidance is very much appreciated.
Thanks
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 74.102.93.169
Old 02-15-2017, 08:47 PM

paul2748 is on a distinguished road
What was the reason you went with the aftermarket carb? Was it really bad?

If not, then go with the original carb so you can use the original air cleaner.

The kit to convert the aftermarket carb to use the original air cleaner is not that expensive and is relatively easy to install so going with the aftermarket carb is not a big deal either.
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 73.109.225.84
Old 02-15-2017, 10:21 PM

scoopieb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
What was the reason you went with the aftermarket carb? Was it really bad?

If not, then go with the original carb so you can use the original air cleaner.

The kit to convert the aftermarket carb to use the original air cleaner is not that expensive and is relatively easy to install so going with the aftermarket carb is not a big deal either.
The original wasn't bad but if I remember correctly a new one at the time with electric choke was cheaper than rebuilding the original. I think I'll have the original rebuilt if the carb shop says that's the way to go.