Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Flair Birds [1964-1966]

Flair Birds [1964-1966] You have a Fourth Generation Bird or just have some questions about them? Then this forum is for you, check it out.

65 Tbird Rocker panel replacement

This is a discussion on 65 Tbird Rocker panel replacement within the Flair Birds [1964-1966] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; I'm trying to assist a friend. He needs to replace the rocker panels on his 65. I'm used to working ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 129.42.208.186
Old 08-13-2010, 11:13 PM

67Malibu is on a distinguished road
Question 65 Tbird Rocker panel replacement

I'm trying to assist a friend. He needs to replace the rocker panels on his 65. I'm used to working on frame cars but I believe this Tbird is a unitized type without a heavy ladder frame. I find many listings for both inner and outer rocker repair panels. I'm wondering if there is any additional bracing internally. Anyone done this before? A cross sectional view would be gread but I find no references anywhere. Thanks
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 65.95.120.40
Old 08-20-2010, 11:58 AM

cncmachinist is on a distinguished road
Hey, working on the exact same issue currently. there is actually a few layers within the inner and outer rockers, I vaccuumed all of that out it was so rusty on mine. I have attached the cross section picture from the owners manual. My idea is to just have the inner and outer rocker and run a 3x3 piece of tubing from front to back to support the car.http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y21...t=DSCF0349.jpg as you can see it is actually made up of five pieces.
Let me know if that helps.
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 65.73.130.54
Old 08-20-2010, 08:12 PM

Talking

Thanks, that's exactly what we need. Great album, you have a lot of work ahead of you. Butch's floors I hope aren't that bad but I haven't seen it with the rugs out. Those are nice looking floor panels, can you say where they are from? We were thinking of square tubing as a stiffener within the inner/outer panels. Good luck.
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 65.95.120.40
Old 08-21-2010, 08:16 AM

cncmachinist is on a distinguished road
Just ordered the front/rear panels from classicfabrication.com your on-line source for floorpans for your classic car havent gotten them yet. They dont make the inner rocker piece any more but thats not a big deal. I Should be getting the car up onto a lift next weekend, so I will let you know how stiffening goes. My plan was to tie in 3x3 tubing from the body mounts in the rear and the rear frame rails, outward and then forward to where the front support rails are. I can get another picture from the owners manual to show where all the main supports are.

Plenty of work to do on the floor for me but it was cheap and its a good way to learn before I hack into the 40' Ford Pickup.

Dalton
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 65.73.130.54
Old 08-22-2010, 10:57 PM

Dalton, I've found several sites offering inner or out rocker panels. You mention you getting the diagrams from the owners manual. Is it that or one of the maintence manuals? I haven't had a chance to look at the manuals he has yet. Have to wait for his recovery from illness before we get to look at this better. Thanks, George