Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Flair Birds [1964-1966]

Flair Birds [1964-1966] You have a Fourth Generation Bird or just have some questions about them? Then this forum is for you, check it out.

rear speaker

This is a discussion on rear speaker within the Flair Birds [1964-1966] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; How do I take out the rear speaker in my 1964 Thunderbird? Also has anyone ever used any undercover speakers?...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 137.84.8.98
Old 04-19-2011, 03:13 PM

richie3002 is on a distinguished road
Garage
rear speaker

How do I take out the rear speaker in my 1964 Thunderbird? Also has anyone ever used any undercover speakers?
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 71.171.92.147
Old 04-20-2011, 05:35 AM

rw_removed is on a distinguished road
remove the rear seats

Pull out the rear bench first, then remove the seat backs. You should then be able to see the screws to remove the package tray (the metal piece with the speaker grill cut into it).

You may need to remove the side panels too, I don't remember... Anyway, it's not as hard as it sounds.

Regarding the speakers, there is a thread called Sound System Upgrade for 1964 that has discussed sound systems.
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 69.118.28.244
Old 04-20-2011, 07:16 AM

boaterbob is on a distinguished road
I think the last time i did that i removed the armrest and just got it from there, Only two little bolts. That was a Conv.
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 96.252.225.5
Old 05-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Tayman Electrical LLC

Gary Tayman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie3002 View Post
How do I take out the rear speaker in my 1964 Thunderbird? Also has anyone ever used any undercover speakers?
The rear seat speaker is a 5x7, held in place by two nuts on end tabs.

To get to the thing, you have to remove the two rear seat backs. Fun fun! Remove the seat cushion, push and lift from each side -- this is the easy part. The backs are held in place with bolts at the bottom, and simply slides out. But you also have to remove the arm rests. Worst part of this is putting those arm rests back in. Put a piece of masking tape on the back of the rest, covering up the bolt holes. Then push the bolts partway in, so the tape will hold them in place. This is far easier than trying to hold the arm rest while threading those bolts.

Anyway, with those two seat backs out, the speaker isn't hard to reach.

Now -- honestly I've never seen an original. I know this -- if you install an aftermarket, there is a big gap between the speaker gasket and the package tray. This gap must be closed for proper baffle. Did the original have a bunch of foam in front or something? Whatever, weatherstripping from Home Depot may do the trick. Another solution I've used, don't mount the new speaker with the bolts -- just wedge the speaker down, between the two studs, with the speaker against the package tray. Very unprofessional but it works!

If using a stereo and a replacement speaker, watch the wiring. It's very tempting to use the existing speaker wiring for the stereo -- however one of these wires is grounded to the car frame, right under the glove compartment, with a big screw. New stereos don't like grounded speaker wiring!

Undercover Stealth Speakers -- I LOVE them! I've listened to them in the shop, I've even demo'ed them on TV, and the darned things keep getting sold before I've had a chance to test them in my own car. I have power seats, and they won't fit by pushing them in from the front. BUT -- last week I was looking at the seats from the back, and it looks as though they may indeed fit. I have a pair on order, and will try to fit them in my car. If they fit, forget that rear speaker.
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 98.148.49.84
Old 07-01-2012, 04:35 PM

65BLUBIRD is on a distinguished road
Garage
65 back speaker

I attached some pictures. The attached is an original 65 with a quarter inch styrofoam gasket around the perimeter. Any one else removing....take more care
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T-Bird 006.jpg (95.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg T-Bird 007.jpg (96.5 KB, 41 views)
  #6 (permalink)   IP: 76.209.109.46
Old 07-02-2012, 10:55 AM

65BLUBIRD is on a distinguished road
Garage
Back Speaker

There is a thread on speakers if you type it in. In short, need to remove the bench seat up and out, The arm rests need to be removed and the seat backs, 2 bolts...Should be able to get out from there. Take care as my 65 had a styrofoam "gasket/baffle" that was between the metal back plate and speaker. I almost got the whole thing out intact. also check out www.taymanelectric.com
  #7 (permalink)   IP: 76.166.100.67
Old 07-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Los Angeles Ca.

redbird1 is on a distinguished road
Garage
To answer your question about undercover speakers, I assume you mean speakers under the package tray.
When I upgraded to a new system, I wanted more separation of sound between front and back than you get from the door speakers when they are mounted in the stock position.
It involved removing the air vents for the flow through system, but I never used that any way.
The sound is incredible with the position of the rear speakers.
Each is mounted under the package tray, one on driver's side, and one on passenger side.

Bob.