Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Flair Birds [1964-1966]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Flair Birds [1964-1966] You have a Fourth Generation Bird or just have some questions about them? Then this forum is for you, check it out.

The Wanderer

This is a discussion on The Wanderer within the Flair Birds [1964-1966] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Hi All Ive got a 64 Hardtop and she's got the wanders, Driving down the freeway i continually have to ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 203.214.68.19
Old 11-14-2011, 04:52 PM
DaveG is on a distinguished road
Garage
The Wanderer

Hi All
Ive got a 64 Hardtop and she's got the wanders, Driving down the freeway i continually have to keep correcting to stop the car eithr going into the next lane or wandering off the black stuff. (She Doesn't pull to one side at all) She just wanders) I'm sure people must think I've had a few ales when they are following me.

Tie rods and all steering joints seem to be ok, (Although I'm no expert)
It just really takes away the joy of driving her because of having to concentrate on keeping her going straight in the lane.

Do you think a front end alignment might cure this, or is it just because she's a 47 year old car and what you get is what you get.

Dave
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 71.170.88.207
Old 11-15-2011, 04:37 PM

Harley Eaton is on a distinguished road
It would seem to me that a front end alignment would be in order. Do you have any
"play" in the steering wheel, meaning any movement of the steering wheel without the front wheels moving
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 96.56.173.226
Old 07-18-2014, 10:54 AM

my66cruiser is on a distinguished road
My '66 has started to wander a bit. I could be driving straight, and all of a sudden it feels as if the left wheel suddenly turns inward by itself causing the car to move to the right. But then again maybe the right wheel is doing the same since it is smooth transition so the wheels must be aligned. When I got the car I have had the tie rod ends replaced, the lower control arm bushings, and an alignment. All of this was done a few years ago, so this sudden wandering to the right issue is new. I don't feel much play in my steering as Harley pointed out. I think it could be my ball joints, but I also read that it could be the steering gearbox isolators (which wear out per what I have read). If you solve your problem before I do, please share your solution with us all. Thanks.

I also had new front tires put on prior to the alignment. I have had them double check the alignment but I feel the car likes to pull to the left slightly. Also, doesn't the idler arm maintain stability/control of the steering linkage when the car is going straight. So could the problem be a worn idler arm?

I just remembered I had a steering troubleshooting chart that may help you and me. See 2nd attachment. This comes from the shop manual. The first attachment is my T-Bird when I first bought her a few years ago. She's a country gal.

Last edited by my66cruiser; 07-14-2015 at 12:49 PM.