Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Flair Birds [1964-1966]

Flair Birds [1964-1966] You have a Fourth Generation Bird or just have some questions about them? Then this forum is for you, check it out.

65 Front Shocks?

This is a discussion on 65 Front Shocks? within the Flair Birds [1964-1966] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; While trying to update the suspension, ordered the Monroe Sensa-Trac Shock Absorbers Part #5763 from the local auto parts store ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 76.252.22.168
Old 03-14-2012, 10:18 AM

65Special is on a distinguished road
Garage
65 Front Shocks?

While trying to update the suspension, ordered the Monroe Sensa-Trac Shock Absorbers Part #5763 from the local auto parts store after verifing fit on Monroe's website. When I had my mechanic install them, the rear set fit perfectly, but the front set has shorter bolt stems and will not allow sufficent room for the new bushings. Any suggestions? Is there a better shock that will fit out there?
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 71.170.88.207
Old 03-14-2012, 03:15 PM

Harley Eaton is on a distinguished road
Is there a shock out there that will fit? I've got a new pair of gas charged shocks for the front end of 1964 for sale.. Better? ????
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 76.252.22.168
Old 03-14-2012, 04:08 PM

Garage
Update

Spoke with Monroe today and they state this is the right shock and they have not had any complaints from other Tbird owners. I then spoke with Mike at the Thunderbird Headquarters who stated that they send the shocks out to be modified (extended), otherwise they are too short to fit through the bushings and mount. I am having mine extended tomorrow, so I can at least install these heavy duty Monroes...

Thanks.
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 203.214.68.19
Old 03-29-2012, 11:03 PM
DaveG is on a distinguished road
Garage
Sorry to drag this back up, But if i'm getting this right it means that these Monroe shockers are shorter overall length than the originals, If this is true can you tell me how much shorter they are. and does the bottom mounting pin fit thru the Eye/rubber bush on the bottom of the shocker. Cheers Dave
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 76.252.27.49
Old 03-30-2012, 08:52 AM

Garage
65 front shocks

The front shocks from Monroe are the proper shock, but to allow the top new replacement bushings to fit, we had to cut off the threaded section of the old and new shocks, then weld the old threaded section to the new shocks. This worked very well! The bottom mounting is not impacted by this change and is installed easily. (The difference between the old shock and the new shock threaded section is approximately one to 1-2 inches.). This was an easy fix, but if you order the shocks from the Tbird HQ, they will come already modified. If not, just have your mechanic make the above modification and you should be in good shape. By the way, what a huge change in handling and ride comfort with the new shocks...
  #6 (permalink)   IP: 120.148.81.34
Old 03-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Garage
Thanks for the very clear explanation,
The reason i asked was i've just fitted new shocks to the front of mine (Mine is lowered 2") and I wanted a shorter shocker, We have a company here in Australia called Pedders Suspension, So I picked a shorter stroke shocker (2" shorter in the body) from thier range but it had the opposite problem to yours the Top threaded section was longer so I had to make a small mounting plate to fit up in the shock tower first problem fixed, the other issue was the bottom eye and rubber bush were too small for the mounting pin to fit thru, so Pedders removed the bottom eye and fitted a larger one to suit, A bit of mucking around but huge improvement to handling. The reason I was asking in the first place was that a couple of mates owners of 64 & 65's are thinking of lowering there's, so I thought these Monroes might have been an easy fix. Oh well as one of our infamous Prime Ministers once said
(Life wasn't meant to be easy). Cheers Dave
  #7 (permalink)   IP: 98.148.49.84
Old 05-19-2012, 08:56 AM

65BLUBIRD is on a distinguished road
Garage
Is this something peculiar to Monroe on the front shocks? My 65 is stock and I want to replace the shocks along with some other suspension overhauls. I spoke with suspension people and even checked with some specialty sites on the web and they gave no indication that modification was required when replacing the front shocks.
  #8 (permalink)   IP: 120.148.83.110
Old 05-25-2012, 09:09 PM
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65BLUBIRD View Post
Is this something peculiar to Monroe on the front shocks? My 65 is stock and I want to replace the shocks along with some other suspension overhauls. I spoke with suspension people and even checked with some specialty sites on the web and they gave no indication that modification was required when replacing the front shocks.
Sorry 65Blubird just saw this post.

The only reason my shocks had to be modified was because my car is Lowered and I wanted shorter stoke shockers so the ones used are off an Aussie manufactured Ford and had to be modified.
  #9 (permalink)   IP: 69.219.237.175
Old 05-28-2012, 09:34 AM

Garage
65 Shocks

My 65 Special Landau is also stock and the shocks in it were original... The best thing I can tell you is to replace them as I stated below, but if you are installing the new rubber bushings it will require some modification. This was a very easy fix, once we figured out what to do. By the way, all the repair shops and vendors told me the same thing their telling you about the parts are readily available with proper fit, but it wasn't so for me.
  #10 (permalink)   IP: 76.209.109.46
Old 05-29-2012, 07:27 PM

65BLUBIRD is on a distinguished road
Garage
Thanks for the info. I will keep this in mind when I pick a place to order from.