Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Flair Birds [1964-1966]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Flair Birds [1964-1966] You have a Fourth Generation Bird or just have some questions about them? Then this forum is for you, check it out.

trouble with conv top

This is a discussion on trouble with conv top within the Flair Birds [1964-1966] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; I have a 66 tbird & I'm having a problem that I could use some help with. It started with ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 69.122.135.153
Old 09-02-2012, 01:32 PM

arthurfleming is on a distinguished road
trouble with conv top

I have a 66 tbird & I'm having a problem that I could use some help with. It started with no power to open the deck. I lost power as the flip lid was half woy up. I had to remove the flip lid so I could get the car out of the weather. I had to replace the connector to the relay & put the lid back on & jumped the relays to close the deack & top. Now the deck opens & flip lid goes up & the top starts to retract but the deck with the flip lid up starts to retract at the same time. At this point I must jump the relays to close eveything again. I have been told I may have a bad deck solenid, all steps work when I jump the relays. Any help would be great Thanks
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 75.161.248.250
Old 09-02-2012, 10:38 PM
'65 Convertible

Ken in MN is on a distinguished road
Arthur,
Troubleshooting those convertible tops can be daunting, to say the least. It's not a Rube Goldberg setup but it's close.

I temporarily solved my problem by wiring a set of four double-pole-double-throw switches to the relays. I also wired a master power switch that energizes the switches so that I don't accidentally throw a switch when I put something or someone in the back seat. I have to be careful to throw the switches in the correct order. It's not elegant and it's only semi-automatic, but it works every time.