Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Flair Birds [1964-1966]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Flair Birds [1964-1966] You have a Fourth Generation Bird or just have some questions about them? Then this forum is for you, check it out.

rear springs

This is a discussion on rear springs within the Flair Birds [1964-1966] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Did my 1964 thunderbird come from the factory with the springs located below the rear end or above the rear ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 76.177.189.195
Old 07-29-2014, 08:09 AM

Ken 6645 is on a distinguished road
Question rear springs

Did my 1964 thunderbird come from the factory with the springs located below the rear end or above the rear end.....The back of my bird sets at 22 1/2inches from the ground ..To low for the look I want..A spec page i found stated that the rear height should be 27 inches .. 27 in would be better for me...A friend of mine said ..the rear end had been " flopped over" Any one have any thoughts on this , or suggestions Thanks Ken
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 76.209.109.46
Old 07-29-2014, 12:45 PM

65BLUBIRD is on a distinguished road
Garage
I have a 65 and my springs are under. I had mine replaced about 2 years ago by a good mechanic. The concern he had with getting something stiffer was that the ride would not be as smooth. Mine is 23. I assume you are measuring to the the top of the wheel cutout on the fender. Air ride might be the way to go for the look you want

Last edited by 65BLUBIRD; 07-29-2014 at 01:00 PM.
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 72.91.12.86
Old 08-07-2014, 10:06 PM
Tayman Electrical LLC

Gary Tayman is on a distinguished road
This isra ther interesting, as my car is in the shop right now as we speak.

I'm in the middle of one of those sagas; got a flat tire so, after looking at dryrot, I decide to buy new tires. New tire goes flat -- again and again. I'm told the tubes are defective. Well, after much pondering I decide to buy new wheels. Remounting the tires, it's found that the inside stickers are still there, cutting the tubes. They put the tires on, out of balance. Take it back, they tell me the wheels are out of round.

Take it to another shop; three out of four wheels are unbalanced. But, axle is bent. Also, front bearings are bad. Today they called and told me they fixed the weak springs. Apparently they rearranged the slats -- but they are confident it's fixed and will ride better.

Aside from this, it's very common to have springs that wear down on these cars. The springs are re-arched or replaced. In this instance I don't need either.

Actually, in my case the stance isn't bad, except when you put things in the trunk -- then it's low. It'll be interesting to see how it stands when I pick it up.