Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Flair Birds [1964-1966]

Flair Birds [1964-1966] You have a Fourth Generation Bird or just have some questions about them? Then this forum is for you, check it out.

New to Flair Bird Forum

This is a discussion on New to Flair Bird Forum within the Flair Birds [1964-1966] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Recently purchased a 1966 yellow Bird conv. and waiting for it to be shipped from the States. Sure I will ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 69.157.20.139
Old 11-02-2014, 12:40 PM

abaucom21 is on a distinguished road
New to Flair Bird Forum

Recently purchased a 1966 yellow Bird conv. and waiting for it to be shipped from the States. Sure I will have questions once it arrives.

Pictures of my yellow Bird:
My 1966 Thunderbird album | Al | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

Al in Ottawa
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 69.34.132.209
Old 11-03-2014, 11:18 AM

Terry64HT is on a distinguished road
Al, that is a nice looking Bird. We are in the same area, I'm Stittsville.
Terry
64HT
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 76.209.109.46
Old 11-03-2014, 01:19 PM

65BLUBIRD is on a distinguished road
Garage
Beautiful car. I am sure the running condition is great. I don't think we will be hearing from you for awhile with repair advice.
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 24.114.71.87
Old 11-04-2014, 07:31 PM
rzcrisis is on a distinguished road
That is one beautiful bird Al. I am sure you will have many enjoyable times with it. Where was it purchased from? Keep us posted once you finally have it in your driveway.

Best
Randy
(Canadian Survivor)
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 69.157.20.139
Old 11-05-2014, 08:03 AM

abaucom21 is on a distinguished road
Purchased it from StreetSide Classics in Charlotte NC, a very well known consignment dealership. My brother in Charlotte first brought this to my attention back in early July. Many emails and calls to Streetside, I made an offer, rejected as I thought it was overpriced. A few weeks later showed up on EBay, did not sell. A few months later, back on EBay at a reduced price, closer to my first offer, Streetside told me they had a higher offer. Then early Oct., Streetside called me, said the deal fell through, was I still interested. Sure, at my original offer. Well the owner came down a little, I went up a little, deal was completed Oct. 11. Strange but true: I had put this car out of my mind months ago. But the night before Streetside called me in Oct., I had a dream I was driving a yellow T-Bird conv. So I guess it was fate. Also yellow Bird history indicates it was produced Feb. 17, 1966 (Feb. my birthday month), and both the family 1963 and 1966 T-Birds produced in Feb. Yellow Bird went from Wixom to a Chicago dealership then transferred and sold in Dallas. I moved from Dallas to Ottawa in 2003, same year the yellow Bird was restored (fate?).

Think the transport company just picked up the Bird from Streetside after I had the right rear window switch replaced (window moving slow), tank topped off, and fuel stabilizer added because I told them by time the auto arrives in Ottawa there could be salt on the streets so it will have to go directly from the truck into my underground parking garage (I just received the car cover I ordered).

My brother in Charlotte went to see the car, took some additional pics, said everything worked but I will just have to wait and see for myself. My brother, a car nut, and retired automotive designer, said buy it. It will need some cosmetic stuff: conv. top will need to be replaced (in the future), left interior door panel should be replaced as well as left chrome (SS?) door sill plate. But first I want to have my own trusted mechanic fully inspect as anything mechanical will come first next spring.

Sorry for the long post, but needless to say I am excited. My first auto when I turned 16 (1967) was Mom's 1963 T-Bird. Sadly 1969, Dad borrowed my 1963, wreaked it so my second auto was Dad's 1966 Town Landau which I talked him into buying new when he went to buy a 1966 Mustang. So my history with T-Birds goes back to a then new pink 1957, and white 1960. One more check off my bucket list.

During the long Canada winter, will have time to review the large binder of stuff that comes with the yellow Bird. Time to pull out the original dealer brochures and owners manuals I bought on EBay years ago and my Thunderbird restoration guide. I will be buying service manuals and perhaps new black door panels just to keep me occupied during the winter. Already joined the Southern Ontario Thunderbird Club and they have been extremely helpful as a number of members have fully restored 1966 Birds. Also joined the International T-Bird Club. I have found auto specific forums extremely helpful in the past as I am not a gear head (need to review the owners manual to remember how to open the hood - LOL!). Daily driver is a 2011 Camaro 2LT I special ordered my way and just sold my beloved one family owned low mileage pearl white 1998 Riviera to a Riviera nut in his 70s so I know it went to a good home and will be cared for (mine looked and drove close to factory new - total winter virgin). But the summer only Riviera had to go as I needed the parking spot for the yellow Bird.

Today calling the Transport Company to make sure all the paperwork is now in order to move the Bird across the border. Just received a email bill to prepay the Canada custom charges so apparently the yellow Bird is in the system. One more strange but true: Cost to transport the Bird to Canada in an enclosed carrier, plus processing fees and Canada taxes & fees, cost to get the auto from Charlotte to Ottawa getting damn close to original window sticker price of the yellow Bird in 1966!

Terry from Stittsville, ON: Yes we are very close by. Perhaps we can stay in touch and meet for burgers. I have a wonderful group of car guy friends who meet for dinner every two weeks (Recently meeting in Kanata at Zaks). Diverse group of guys with a diverse range of autos and we get together at a restaurant just to talk and share every two weeks. Feel free to contact me directly at:
abaucom21@hotmail.com
  #6 (permalink)   IP: 24.114.71.229
Old 11-05-2014, 06:14 PM
rzcrisis is on a distinguished road
Great story. Sometimes the thrill of the chase is as good as the catch! My search for a solid bird was 4 years long but I knew when found the right one....and I did with mine.

Randy
Dunnville, Ont.
(Canadian Survivor)