Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Flair Birds [1964-1966]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Flair Birds [1964-1966] You have a Fourth Generation Bird or just have some questions about them? Then this forum is for you, check it out.

'66 Town Rear Glass and molding installation help

This is a discussion on '66 Town Rear Glass and molding installation help within the Flair Birds [1964-1966] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Hi all, I was getting ready to reseal my rear glass and put the moldings back on and thought it ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 69.121.28.164
Old 07-25-2015, 01:01 PM

my66cruiser is on a distinguished road
'66 Town Rear Glass and molding installation help

Hi all, I was getting ready to reseal my rear glass and put the moldings back on and thought it would make sense to completely pull out the rear glass, scrape out the old stuff, and reseal it with polyurethane. My glass is ready to fall out because I scraped some of the old stuff out of the channel already.

I have a question about the lower bottom molding - the one that sits right on top of the rear vent. This one is a two-piece molding (left side and right side - one slides into the other).

It appears that this molding must be installed as the rear glass is set into position. Is this true? This molding has metal protrusions/tabs that curve upward and under the sealant for the rear glass in the channel. It is not held in by the clips like the other moldings - including the one that sits right on top of it which is the standard rear glass bottom molding held in by the clips.

So is this procedure correct for a car without the vinyl top - the Town Hardtop?

1) Remove rear glass and clean out channel - paint channel if necessary. Clean channel with alcohol.
2) Apply polyurethane to perimeter of glass on the inside.
3) Set bottom most molding in place right on top of rear vent, then set glass down into channel and push firmly around perimeter.
4) Apply more urethane in the channel making sure to capture edge of glass.
5) Pop in all of the standard moldings that use the previously installed clips.

#2 and #3 can also state to set the bottom molding in place, and apply the urethane into the channel, then set the glass onto the urethane.

Thanks in advance.

my66cruiser
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 99.224.51.99
Old 07-25-2015, 11:08 PM

Terry64HT is on a distinguished road
I can't speak to the details for a 66, but I believe these cars were built before urethane sealants. They used a combination of gaskets and butyl rubber strips or butyl alone.
Terry
64HT
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 96.56.173.226
Old 08-05-2015, 11:46 AM

my66cruiser is on a distinguished road
Hi Terry,

True, no urethane was used and no gaskets on the '66 town models. I was told that only butyl was used orignally. If I don't remove the glass, I can leave the sticky butyl in place and add urethane around the perimeter of the glass for added strength. I have a glass expert near me (neighbor) who is going to help me. He initially said that butyl is all you really need on these cars.