Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Flair Birds [1964-1966]

Flair Birds [1964-1966] You have a Fourth Generation Bird or just have some questions about them? Then this forum is for you, check it out.

Signal indicators on fenders

This is a discussion on Signal indicators on fenders within the Flair Birds [1964-1966] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; My front and rear turn signals are working, however the indicators on the fenders are not. If one bulb is ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 162.201.166.124
Old 02-04-2017, 08:30 AM

kapejo is on a distinguished road
Garage
Signal indicators on fenders

My front and rear turn signals are working, however the indicators on the fenders are not.
If one bulb is blown, will it cancel out both sides?

Thanks-
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 76.5.58.72
Old 02-04-2017, 10:25 AM

Terry64HT is on a distinguished road
All the bulbs are independent, so one can be out and everything else works.
Getting the bulbs out can be a bear, so you might want to first check that you have power to the indicators. There is a single wire that goes through the inner fender at the front corners of the engine compartment. There's a bullet connector on each. Pull apart and check for 12v when flashing.
Getting the bulbs out of the housings can be a career onto itself, but that is likely where you will find the problem. The bulb sockets are grounded to the housings by a friction fit, and water will get in when the gasket on the lens cracks.
If you need help getting things apart, let us know.
Hope this helps
Terry
64HT
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 220.253.160.239
Old 02-08-2017, 06:36 PM
stubbie is on a distinguished road
Garage
Beware of the orange lenses falling apart from old age.
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 98.127.194.125
Old 02-12-2017, 07:23 AM

HeadacheGuy is on a distinguished road
Garage
Mine didn't work when I first got my bird. They ground from the inside of the fender. Though mine didn't look horribly corroded there was enough oxidation on the fender it wouldn't make contact. A little sanding (though the retaining nuts kinda suck to get to) and problem solved. If the problem is in the socket like Terry suggested, I think I used a pair of snap ring pliers to remove the lenses or you can buy the tool on ebay or the Tbird sights. The light assemblies themselves can be purchased pretty reasonable is they are really bad.
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 47.199.92.142
Old 02-12-2017, 06:55 PM
Tayman Electrical LLC

Gary Tayman is on a distinguished road
Don't disassemble the lamps unless you really have to.

First test: flick on the turn signal, and use a long wire or clip lead. Touch one end to the bumper, the other end to the chrome lamp housing. If it suddenly starts working, it's a bad ground.

I asked someone, while he had my car on the lift, to tighten it. Next thing you know, he was disassembling the indicator, then found nothing, then couldn't get it back together. Before long five people were on it, and ended up breaking the lamp. I went to an auto parts place and found a lamp, but it's dime -- and it's still not totally together -- and it still lights up intermittently because nobody ever DID tighten the mount!

I might end up buying a new set, and doing it all myself . . .