Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Flair Birds [1964-1966]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Flair Birds [1964-1966] You have a Fourth Generation Bird or just have some questions about them? Then this forum is for you, check it out.

Shift lever acting up again

This is a discussion on Shift lever acting up again within the Flair Birds [1964-1966] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Yes, just about the time I get my car running and handling great, out goes the shift lever. The indicator ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 47.199.65.31
Old 03-27-2017, 05:12 AM
Tayman Electrical LLC

Gary Tayman is on a distinguished road
Shift lever acting up again

Yes, just about the time I get my car running and handling great, out goes the shift lever. The indicator does not line up with the markings, and I have to hold it up to start the car.

You don't need to tell me; I'm about 99% certain that doughnut inside the steering column has worn out or fallen out, whatever.

These Thunderbird steering columns have got to be the worst piece of engineering ever, and I'm surprised there was never some sort of safety recall on them. This is the only car I've ever had, where you can't get out of the car with the motor running for fear of running over yourself!

Has anyone come up with a retrofit, or better design, for anything related to the shift lever to keep it from breaking or wearing out on a regular basis?

As it is, I'll just drive the car for awhile, putting up with the sloppy mechanism, but probably the next service item will be rebuilding the column for the umpteenth time. If there are any thoughts as to making it more reliable, I'm open to hear them.
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 71.80.229.90
Old 03-28-2017, 11:11 AM
Steve Seebart

sseebart is on a distinguished road
Garage
I've never seen any upgrades or replacements for the bearings, bushings or the detente plate, though I've read that using a mig welder to fix the inevitable notch in the shift lever will lengthen its life. The metal from the weld is much harder than the original or the reproductions.

~Steve