Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Flair Birds [1964-1966]

Flair Birds [1964-1966] You have a Fourth Generation Bird or just have some questions about them? Then this forum is for you, check it out.

Power steering pressure hose

This is a discussion on Power steering pressure hose within the Flair Birds [1964-1966] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Just purchased the one size fits all power steering pressure hose for my 65 convertible with A/C offered by multiple ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 24.216.185.246
Old 04-17-2017, 05:16 PM

makrie is on a distinguished road
Power steering pressure hose

Just purchased the one size fits all power steering pressure hose for my 65 convertible with A/C offered by multiple manufacturers at 34 1/2 inches overall length. The original hose which finally burst last fall is approximately 29 inches. What's 5 1/2 inches (insert your own joke here) difference you might think but this is a heavy hose which normally is routed above the driver side exhaust manifold. I can make it work but I figured somebody must have dealt with this issue before.

Any suggestions on the best way to route the hose without interfering with the other lines or coming too close to the manifold? Thoughts and photos always appreciated!

Thank you...
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 71.80.229.90
Old 04-18-2017, 11:11 AM
Steve Seebart

sseebart is on a distinguished road
Garage
I replaced the hoses on my car this year. It's not an apples-to-apples comparison (I have a 64 without A/C), but I bought a replacement reproduction. Side by side, the old and new hoses were the same length, but upon installation, the new hose was ungainly and hard to get routed correctly. (It seemed like no matter how I positioned it, there was interference/rubbing somewhere. I still have it on my to-do list to fiddle with it some more.)

I did a quick search on Bird Nest. My car takes the hose with two steel sections (as did the '65's without A/C.) I'm not sure if the other one is the kind you have, but if not, perhaps it's worth the time and trouble to get a reproduction of the correct length: http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~partsort

~Steve
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 24.216.185.246
Old 04-18-2017, 11:51 AM

Current state of affairs...

I appreciate you getting back to me and acknowledging these newly manufactured products are not necessarily drop in replacements.

I sent an inquiry to Birds Nest to verify what he has in stock. My guess based on some personal research this is the only length available at this time. I assume I can make this work somehow without having one manufactured at some insane cost.

As time goes on even aftermarket manufacturer support is waning and our passion for these rolling works of art will require deeper pockets and a lot of patience.

Thanks again!
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 24.216.185.246
Old 04-18-2017, 03:41 PM

NOS located

Found an NOS but the price is daunting...plus not sure if it's worth investing in rubber parts 50+ years old. Might be repeating the failure inside a year???

I got in contact with Don from Bird Nest, all they have is the newer and longer replacements.
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 174.113.130.246
Old 04-19-2017, 01:30 PM

Terry64HT is on a distinguished road
I took a look at my 64 with A/C and the pressure hose (from the pump to the steering box) is over 50 inches long (it's kind of tough to measure exactly). I have no idea how a 29 inch one would have been installed. There is a steel 90 degree piece at the pump, then the hose part goes up beside the oil dipstick, then across to the wheel well. There is a crimped metal connector in this section. There's a double hose clamp for this hose and the return hose on the wheel well then the hose goes through a single clamp on the fender brace beside the shock tower mount. The hose then goes down the back side of the wheel well, between the hood hinge and brake master cylinder to the steering box.
In the attached photo, the hose has the metal connector to the left of the oil dipstick. You can see it go through the double clamp, then the single at the shock tower and it drops out of sight at the master cylinder.
Hope this helps
Terry
64HT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AUT_3260 (Small).JPG (60.8 KB, 23 views)
  #6 (permalink)   IP: 24.216.185.246
Old 04-19-2017, 05:09 PM

64 v 65 v 66

Every year did something slightly different with the factory apparently settling late 65-66 routing the pressure hose between the valve cover and carburetor. Early 65 used the shortest route directly from the steering box to a short steel tube threaded on the back side of the FORD pump. This route was apparently only supported by the hose ends as it ran between the fender and engine. After finding a NOS at 29 inches I decided better not to purchase. This is a driver not a concourse contender...though I respect the dedication for those who can afford them.

After a great deal of frustration due to limited access I completed the installation of the only version for this year now available at 34 1/2 inches.

It's always an adventure!