tbirdforum.com

tbirdforum.com (https://www.tbirdforum.com/forums/)
-   Flair Birds [1964-1966] (https://www.tbirdforum.com/forums/flair-birds-1964-1966/)
-   -   battery discharge(constant) (https://www.tbirdforum.com/forums/flair-birds-1964-1966/545-battery-discharge-constant.html)

trip 12-14-2002 05:21 PM

battery discharge(constant)

maybe someone will have had a simalar problem
i have a 66 t-bird coupe with a 390 and automatic trans ac and power windows
(no power seats)the car has 78.000 original
miles.i bought the car 15 years ago and have
restored the vehicle over the years but it still has the same problem it had when i bought it(which is why i think it was parked to start with)the car constantly discharges
the battery when running and while sitting
the wireing all appears to be in good shape
and not tampered with i have changed starters alternators voltage regulator and have had no success is it possible the constant voltage regulator in the dash is the problem or is there a more common problem area to start with

any help would be appreciated----thanks/trip

Harley Eaton 12-14-2002 08:08 PM

Can you measure the discharge at the battery? Have you tried removing fuses to see if the current flow stops? The instrument
voltage regulator should not cause discharge with the ignition off. Try disconnecting the clock. Do you have a shop manual? It should be a help. If it is discharging while running, your charging system needs attention.

trip 12-16-2002 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Harley Eaton:
<STRONG>Can you measure the discharge at the battery? Have you tried removing fuses to see if the current flow stops? The instrument
voltage regulator should not cause discharge with the ignition off. Try disconnecting the clock. Do you have a shop manual? It should be a help. If it is discharging while running, your charging system needs attention.</STRONG>

Joe Vandatta 12-16-2002 08:18 PM

If you still have a discharge reading on the ammeter when runing you must have a charging system problem. To check for a drain when not runing diconect the neg. battery lead and using a test light see if you get any voltage when inserting it between the neg. cable and the neg. post---if it lights up you have a drain somewhere in the system--then it's a process of elimination.
Joe

t-bird-art 12-16-2002 08:54 PM

Check to see if starter cable insulation has deterioriated over the years where the internal cable is grounding on the chassis. NAPA has a new one the right length

CANNEDBAND 01-09-2003 08:33 PM

If you can't isolate the drainage culprit just get one the battery disconnects-kinda sucks but's better than being broke-down.Cannedband :D :D

eworker1 01-11-2003 12:57 AM

I had this problem with my restored '67 Ford Mustang. When I replaced the battery, the discharge stopped.