tbirdforum.com

tbirdforum.com (https://www.tbirdforum.com/forums/)
-   Leaner and Meaner Birds [1977-1979] (https://www.tbirdforum.com/forums/leaner-meaner-birds-1977-1979/)
-   -   Question about wheel bolt patterns... (https://www.tbirdforum.com/forums/leaner-meaner-birds-1977-1979/1817-question-about-wheel-bolt-patterns.html)

Sanitarium 73 06-18-2004 11:30 AM

Question about wheel bolt patterns...

Hey all. I am wondering about the wheel bolt patterns on late 70's ford cars. Are they all the same? Are factory wheels interchangable between T-birds, Cougars, and Mark Vs? I know that there is a difference between '73 Thunderbird bolt pattern, and a '79 bolt pattern because the wheels off of the '73(which is not running at the time.) would not fit on my '79. I thought they all were produced with the same nine inch axle, but could a new one have been put in? Sorry to ask so many questions, and I appreciate your replies!

Jim

bigbrownbird 06-19-2004 11:34 PM

jim,
our 77-79 fords run the "standard" Ford 5 on 4 1/2" bolt pattern, which is common to not only cars that are in our series, but also many other fords, such as 60's vheicles, later vheicles (like a 85 Lincoln or a 92 crown vic) and also rangers and explorers (I saw a poorly maintained bird like ours on Ranger "spin" aluminum wheels at work yesterday... Yuck) anyway, Ford decided in the early 70's that it would be a good idea to make the BIG cars have a bigger bolt pattern, 5 on 5". your 73 bird has this, as did lincolns of the same era. while I don't know what the bolt pattern is for every ford vheicle, my computer at at the Sears auto store does :wink :wink . so, if you are wondering what some other vheicle has for a bolt pattern, feel free to ask, just drop a line at verman86@yahoo.com. I'd be more than happy to help.

Lee

Sanitarium 73 06-20-2004 03:30 PM

Thank you very much Lee! Maybe this will make my search for slotted mags just a little easier...I really appreciate it!

Jim

Sanitarium 73 06-21-2004 07:22 PM

So..for example, if I were to find a 1977 Cougar with slotted mag wheels, then those wheels would most likely have a 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern? I know I have seen cars around town for sale with the slotted mags on them...just wondering...Thanks!

Jim

Charles 06-22-2004 03:00 PM

Correct. Provided the owner didn't have the rotors/backing plates re-drilled and spacing changed to use a different wheel which is unlikely. I had an S/10 that I had re-drilled so I could use a mint set of the big Buick Road wheels I was given for free. Didn't cost that much and the value of the wheels/tires far outweighed the cost to convert. Just a reminder to be real careful when you plunk down the dollars. Get a cheapo spacing gauge prior to buying anything used.

Sanitarium 73 06-22-2004 03:19 PM

Ok, one more question...do late '70's Ford F-150s have the 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern? Sorry to ask so many questions.

Jim

g_lower 06-25-2004 02:30 AM

just to let you all know the "slotted mags" were cougar and thunderbird only and will fit both I have a set on my cougar and I didnt have to drill anything. I have a bunch of these if anyone is looking *cough* Jim.. :P wont ask an arm and a leg for them dont really have a use for them anymore. I have 13 of them. plus I have thunderbird centers for them wich can be added for about 30 a set I have 2 sets

Sanitarium 73 06-25-2004 10:22 PM

You should have one PM.

Jim