Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Leaner and Meaner Birds [1977-1979]

Leaner and Meaner Birds [1977-1979] Ford enacts a radical transformation, making the t-bird leaner and meaner, talk about your lean mean bird here.

Door Ajar

This is a discussion on Door Ajar within the Leaner and Meaner Birds [1977-1979] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; When I purchased my 79 T-Bird, I noticed an empty light socket hanging below the dash. The door ajar light ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 24.222.46.114
Old 01-20-2015, 08:41 AM
7T9BIRD is on a distinguished road
Garage
Door Ajar

When I purchased my 79 T-Bird, I noticed an empty light socket hanging below the dash. The door ajar light didn't work so I put two and two together. I didn't have a bulb at that time, but last year I replaced all the dash lights with LEDs and I realized that the door ajar light will not shut off in ACC and RUN when the door is closed, I looked at the wiring schematic and it looks like a simple diagram with no relays. Power flows from the fuse box to the door switch and then on to the warning light. Everything else associated with the ground works fine as does the dome and courtesy lights. What could cause the current to stay open? Could the ground still be bad?
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 24.222.46.114
Old 01-25-2015, 08:46 AM
Garage
After some research, I've discovered that there is an additional switch inside the door at the locking mechanism. Makes sense, since the light should be activated when the latch is not fully closed. My guess is that one of mine is faulty...duh...
Not exactly an easy fix, which is why somebody took the bulb out and tucked the socket away under the dash, that's where it will stay for now.

In case anybody's interested, have any of you noticed a small blue connector dangling under the steering column or dash? Well I did, I thought something must be disconnected somewhere, but that connector is the hook up for the door ajar light for the back doors on four door cars as per wire diagram.
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 72.185.88.56
Old 01-25-2015, 09:25 PM

Tim Cole is on a distinguished road
Garage
easy repair

Thanks for posting the problem with the switch and bulb. Glad to know you got to the root of the problem. Actually, it is an easy fix. Removing and replacing the door panel to access the switch is not a problem at all. Give it try and if you get stuck, don't hesitate to ask for assistance. tim
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 24.222.46.114
Old 01-26-2015, 12:50 PM
Garage
Thanks Tim, it's a bit intimidating for a novice, but I will fix. I read that your enjoying the new LED dash...
Any pictures?
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 72.185.88.56
Old 01-26-2015, 04:36 PM

Tim Cole is on a distinguished road
Garage
removing dash versus door panels

Removing the door panels is a cinch compared to removing and replacing the dash to install the LED lights. You need good daylight when replacing the door panel so that you can see to line up all the clips in the right holes. Let me know when you plan on doing it and we'll talk.
Thanks, tim.

Am replacing my (original) vinyl top this week; some rust underneath. Time to stop it while I can.