Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Tech Forums > Mechanical and Engine Tuning and Mods

Mechanical and Engine Tuning and Mods Found a way to add horsepower by tuning a few parts? Have some questions about Tuning your own engine? Well post them here and learn from other members.

questions

This is a discussion on questions within the Mechanical and Engine Tuning and Mods forums, part of the Tech Forums category; I recently purchased a 1976 thunderbird that had the running 460 in it. I was wondering what the most i ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 74.196.212.136
Old 12-05-2010, 05:26 PM

andmoral is on a distinguished road
questions

I recently purchased a 1976 thunderbird that had the running 460 in it. I was wondering what the most i could bore it out and how much boost from a super charger it would take without forging the bottom. Also, if anyone makes aftermarked high performance heads for it. any help would be greatly appreciated.
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 69.149.94.4
Old 12-08-2010, 06:48 PM
J.A.F.T.O.

Firstperson is on a distinguished road
Cool More the marrier !!!

Hiya,

If it is the stock 460ci you may not want to punch it unless you have too. That much engine is big already, save the punch for when its worn out. Most of the stuff you need to make that poor engine come alive is already available. In it's early years that engine came with almost 400 ponies, the one you have was de-tuned to about 200 so it would pass G'vmt standards. The cam , lifters, intake and exhaust manifolds/carbs are all comercially available. A teardown, hone and performance pistons/rods/crank and you are going fast.

There is a company called J. Bittle America out of San Diego that does a lot of performance stuff for mustangs/lincolns that may be your source for the Aluminium heads you want. If not, try TUFF-DAWG engins in AZ. they do good work with big block Fords and prob have the heads you want on the shelf. Both can be found on the web.

Hope that helps !!!

Lad
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 74.196.212.136
Old 12-11-2010, 11:40 AM

andmoral is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the information. It is greatly appreciated
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 12.191.67.130
Old 12-14-2010, 06:42 PM
J.A.F.T.O.

Firstperson is on a distinguished road
Cool had to put it here, too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andmoral
just out of curiosity why wouldn't you recommend putting a blower on the 460ci 76 engine

Well, it's not that I went out of my way to NOT recommend it, it's just a lot of work and in that big hunk of steel a bit of a waste unless you are going to make it a show car and go for looks.

I have 450hp out of my 390 and I can't use it all until I'm rolling out and hooked up or I'll just fry tires...which is pretty awesome but a bit expensive. If you build that 460ci up to 500 or 600 hp with a blower and really want to use it you are going to have to do a lot of other stuff to make it work. Over build the trans to take that pounding, much improved drive shaft or you'll put a peppermint twist in the stock one(been there, done that). You are going to have to lose some trunk space to make room for the slicks you will need at the back and cut your rear axle short to take the much bigger (and expensive) slicks inside the body. Or you will have to flare the rear fenders bigtime to make room for them outside. You need big tire to put all that power to the ground. Not to mention that hood mod to take the blower horn.

It would be awesome to see but that just seems like an awful lot for very little more. It's not me, but if it is you, Charge!!!!

Good luck and let me know what you do.

Lad

Tags
1976, performance