Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Tech Forums > Mechanical and Engine Tuning and Mods

Mechanical and Engine Tuning and Mods Found a way to add horsepower by tuning a few parts? Have some questions about Tuning your own engine? Well post them here and learn from other members.

79 351M 'Bird idle problems

This is a discussion on 79 351M 'Bird idle problems within the Mechanical and Engine Tuning and Mods forums, part of the Tech Forums category; I bought this 79 Heritage this past summer from the original owner. It needed a bunch of stuff to get ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 24.255.46.77
Old 01-04-2012, 10:47 PM
64yellowbird is on a distinguished road
Question 79 351M 'Bird idle problems

I bought this 79 Heritage this past summer from the original owner. It needed a bunch of stuff to get it road worthy but it ran and drove OK for the most part. I rebuilt the carb but I can't seem to figure out this crappy idle issue. I can't locate any vacuum leaks and as far as I can tell it's set up right and have all the right gaskets. I see no issues with the aluminum carb spacer plate (heard of issues). I found some bare wires at the duraspark connector but separated them and it made no difference and also swapped out the module with a spare that came with the car and it was exactly the same.
Basically it seem OK when first started up and will sit and run great at fast idle. Once it warms up or I drive it, the idle jumps around (up and down...up and down) and sometimes it will even stall out and then it's a BEAR to restart. Cap rotor & wires are new, fuel pump is new, fuel filter is new, air filter & breather are new (in fact i had the air cleaner off last time and made no difference).
Any suggestions or (hopefully) a similar problem that was fixed?
Someone on VTCI forum told me to check some tube from the drivers side v/c to vac port for clogging (i have a rubber hose and had good vacuum when I pulled that hose off).

PS..anyone aware VTCI website domain expired yesterday??? Someone needs to get on the ball there!!

Rich

Here's a pic...I couldn't choose the color (LOL)