Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Tech Forums > Mechanical and Engine Tuning and Mods
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mechanical and Engine Tuning and Mods Found a way to add horsepower by tuning a few parts? Have some questions about Tuning your own engine? Well post them here and learn from other members.

carbureator mixture

This is a discussion on carbureator mixture within the Mechanical and Engine Tuning and Mods forums, part of the Tech Forums category; Hello Thunderbird owners, I have a '55 which is running very rich. It gets really poor mileage and puts out ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 98.21.203.225
Old 12-20-2012, 11:34 PM

DickH is on a distinguished road
carbureator mixture

Hello Thunderbird owners, I have a '55 which is running very rich. It gets really poor mileage and puts out a lot of black exhaust smoke. I can't find any explanation of how to change the mixture. There are two adjustment screws on the front of the carb, but the manual says they are "idle adjustments". Does anyone know how to do this?
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 199.66.168.32
Old 12-21-2012, 10:39 AM

Cdhowell is on a distinguished road
Is this a recent problem? The carb may need rebuilt or the float needs adjusting.
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 98.21.203.225
Old 12-21-2012, 12:56 PM

DickH is on a distinguished road
Thanks for asking. I just rebuilt the carb with a kit that I got from The Carburetor Factory. However the kit did not come with any kind of a gauge with which to set the float level, so I just left it the way it was. The mixture is so rich that I have black soot on the rear bumper. When I made the post I thought that I must have to do something to the jets. However, working on it late last night, it looks like the automatic choke might be the problem. I'm going back over to my shop later today and I may find out if it's the choke or something else. I have been maintaining British cars; MG's and Morgans, primarily, and this car is a completely new experience for me. I can see that I have a lot to learn!

Tags
carbureator, mixture