Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Tech Forums > Mechanical and Engine Tuning and Mods

Mechanical and Engine Tuning and Mods Found a way to add horsepower by tuning a few parts? Have some questions about Tuning your own engine? Well post them here and learn from other members.

1966 timing pointer

This is a discussion on 1966 timing pointer within the Mechanical and Engine Tuning and Mods forums, part of the Tech Forums category; I have 1966 390 with air conditioning and thermactor emission control. I do not have a pointer to set the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 99.27.94.163
Old 02-10-2015, 12:21 AM

1966TownL is on a distinguished road
Garage
1966 timing pointer

I have 1966 390 with air conditioning and thermactor emission control. I do not have a pointer to set the timing. Can you tell me where a pointer should go and what kind I need to get. It looks like it would go on the passenger side of the timing cover from pictures I have seen , but none there. Thanks
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 98.127.181.233
Old 07-19-2015, 11:29 AM

HeadacheGuy is on a distinguished road
Garage
Yes on the passenger side but it is supposed to be attached to the timing cover. I dont know of an aftermarket replacement but there might be one.They were inherantly the same over the years, the only difference was the to accommodate the circumfrance of the balancer. I used a 71 balancer on my 65 when I put A/C in and had to bend the pointer slightly to fit. If all you want to do is time it, pull the #1 plug, carefully put a screw driver and the hole and turn engine over by hand untill it reverses direction. Run it back and forth until you get a feel for TDC and make your own marks. If you have access to a degree dial timing light (which is a must anyway to dial in your advance) you can time it easily. If you dont want to pull the cover to replace I think they are riveted on the aluminum cover so you can get inventive. I have an Fe block with cover sitting on a bench at work. I will look tomorrow .