Go Back   tbirdforum.com > General Thunderbird Forums > OFF TOPIC Discussion Area

OFF TOPIC Discussion Area Talk About Anything But Keep It Clean (IF YOU CAN)

Hard Top latches

This is a discussion on Hard Top latches within the OFF TOPIC Discussion Area forums, part of the General Thunderbird Forums category; I have just bought my '56 a few weeks ago out of San Diego, and shipped it back home here ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 125.237.147.88
Old 07-13-2014, 04:53 AM

peter1956 is on a distinguished road
Hard Top latches

I have just bought my '56 a few weeks ago out of San Diego, and shipped it back home here to New Zealand. Restored 9 years, but only done 500 miles since. I have spent many hours fixing (mostly small) things that weren't done properly. I could write a book about it!
The rear hard-top latches I'm not sure about. They are spring loaded, with a tendency to spring to the unlatched position. Is this correct? I would have thought the spring tension should bias to the latched position as a safety backup. Also, the levers face forward when latched, and swing back to the side (one to the left & one to the right) when released.... is this correct?
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 70.160.98.203
Old 07-13-2014, 03:09 PM
Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road
Hi Peter,

I noticed this is your first post. Welcome.

The lever should be flat against the back. I have sent a pic of mine.
I also sent along a couple of cuts from the CASCO catalog that shows the latching plates and handles. Note that there are two different types on the 56 depending on the date of production. That May 1 date is not firm and can vary a bit. My Production Date is May 15, 1956 and I still have an older top.
The important thing is to match the levers with the latch plate style.
Now for my guess to your problem. It may be that when they were doing the restore that they mounted the latch plate opposite from the way it should be. I would think that may cause the latch handle to point in the wrong direction. More so if you have the straight handle than the bent handle like mine.

Hope this helps.

BTW I spent a couple of weeks in Christchurch "Many" years ago while I was in the service. I really enjoyed it and the people were really nice. I've always wanted to go back for a visit but never made it.

Jim

http://www.squarebirds.org/users/Jim...ite/index.html

Last edited by Jimz Bird; 04-08-2015 at 07:38 PM.
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 173.70.45.159
Old 07-13-2014, 08:35 PM

paul2748 is on a distinguished road
The latches are spring loaded to the closing position. Are your sure you don't have the deck plates reversed?

The levers should not face forward when latched - they should be parallel with the top. You may have to adjust the length of the prong as may not be seating all the way into the deck plate..

In the future you should post 55-57 questions in the Early Birds (55-57) section, not the off topic section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter1956 View Post
I have just bought my '56 a few weeks ago out of San Diego, and shipped it back home here to New Zealand. Restored 9 years, but only done 500 miles since. I have spent many hours fixing (mostly small) things that weren't done properly. I could write a book about it!
The rear hard-top latches I'm not sure about. They are spring loaded, with a tendency to spring to the unlatched position. Is this correct? I would have thought the spring tension should bias to the latched position as a safety backup. Also, the levers face forward when latched, and swing back to the side (one to the left & one to the right) when released.... is this correct?
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 125.237.147.88
Old 07-15-2014, 03:46 AM

peter1956 is on a distinguished road
Hard Top Latches

I see what the problem is now. My latches are made up of parts from 2 versions. I have 50590B (early '56) bayonet tips, and 50595B (56/57) shafts. This puts everything 90 degrees out. Thanks for the help.
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 70.160.98.203
Old 07-15-2014, 08:04 AM
Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road
Good - glad you got it sorted out.
If it were all just that easy.

Download all the vendor catalogs that you can. They will help you to diagnose a lot of problems by their parts illustrations.

Also, if you have not joined CTCI consider doing so.
They have lots of resources available for sale as well as Gil's Garage.
http://ctci.org/
http://ctci.org/gilsgarage.php

Also, Also, check your VIN here:
Thunderbird Registry
If it is not registered then it is good to do so. If it is, then get in touch and update with your info.

Jim

http://www.squarebirds.org/users/Jim...ite/index.html