View Single Post
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 67.35.124.79
Old 12-26-2010, 02:09 PM

FFWalker is on a distinguished road
Sputters, bogs down & backfires when you step on the gas

I'm new to this forum, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I own a 1960 T-Bird Convertible with a 352. The car has sat for 10 years, but three months ago I got her started up and running.

So far I've replaced: radiator, surge tank, fuel pump, fuel filter, water pump, intake gasket, heater hoses, cap/rotor/points/condenser/plugs/wires, and all the fluids. No leaks from the engine.

The car runs great at idle and when I rev the engine. However, I took it out on the road and any time I step on the gas, it sputters and bogs down. If I give it more gas, it gets worse and backfires through the carb.

My first attempt at fixing this was replacing the original coil (50 years old) with a Pertronix flamethrower coil. This seemed to immediately solve my problems. I took the car for a two hour test drive (stop and go) with no issues.

Two days later, I started the car and had the exact same issue as before. The car runs smooth at idle, or if you drive the car and give it VERY little gas. However as soon as you give it more than 10%, it bogs down and sputters.

I've speculated that maybe it's the vacuum advance? I did pull the vacuum line from the carb to the distributor to check the vacuum, which there was some. Car runs a helluva a lot worse without that vacuum line, by the way...

Another guess was maybe my coil burnt out again. If that's the case, could it be the voltage regulator?

Any suggestions? I want to get this car on the road, where it belongs!