View Single Post
  #7 (permalink)   IP: 64.179.202.201
Old 11-22-2011, 06:53 AM

edmlynek is on a distinguished road
couple more things on the 'seat-o-matic' memory seat....do not, repeat, do not put a mercury mem seat in your 55-57 bird without contacting me first...you will 'destroty' everything and burn it up'---as you can surmise, the mercury car is huge--the mem seat in it goes about 14 inches back and forth--in the bird, about 7 inches is about all you want..(forward- you hit he auto trans stick (or stick floorshift) and backwards you hit the soft top)..if you put it in without modifying the distance...THE FIRST TIME YOU TURN OFF YOUR KEY AND THE SEAT TRIES TO GO 'HOME' AND CAN'T BECAUSE IT'S RAMMING INTO THE SOFT TOP..EVERYTHING WILL 'MELT DOWN AND DESTROY ITSELF.)..this has happenned to several people who did not realize what will happen...and now they have a pile of burnt up junk, good for the dumpster...and don't think you can get to the battery disconnect in time , YOU CAN'T--IT'S TOO LATE)...so, what did ford do to the seat to stop this?? well, they changed the travel distances in the 'clockwork' brass gear mechanisums (sorry for spelling errors) that bolt on to the seat motors...these contact assemblies now only go half as far as they did in the big mercry turnpike cruisers...and all was well..so, again, well i'll just buy/find 57 bird contact assemblies and use those...(heh heh, yeah, right) all the gold in fort knox won't buy you any--they have been 'discontinued' for 40+ years..i've never seen one and i'm 65 and been fooling around with stuff for 40+ years..so, now what??...well, again i come to the rescue, i have modified my merc wire harness to go half as far..with a new 'home' at position 4 on the dail..so the seat only goes to 1,2, and 3.....positions 5, 6, and 7 do nothing...this is done without destoying anything..just changing a few wires connections on the harness..it all can be put back 'like it was' in 5 min.s...so there you have it--a working mem seat and no damage to anything...useing cheap mercury stuff...not the super pricey 57 bird only stuff....e-mail me for how to do this--i will gladly share my knowledge of this with anyone that wants to try it.....bye.....ed mlynek