View Single Post
  #10 (permalink)   IP: 64.179.203.89
Old 12-08-2011, 12:52 PM

edmlynek is on a distinguished road
the 1957 ford t-bird book of wire diagrams DOES have the mem seat wire diagram in it--and i see no change from the mercury mem seat wire diagram--they are the same seat - electrically - the difference is in the 'contact assemblies attached to the motors...the motor turns a 'clockwork' brass gear 'train' of tiny gears that 'stop' at 'so many revolutions of the motor.' (lets say 60 revs to each 'stop')..seven stops (seven separate contacts close and open) for the fore and aft----five 'stops' for the up and down).BUT HERE IT GETS TRICKY---the mercury seat must go back and forth about 14+ inches--so the brass gear teeth are numbered to do this--but the bird seat would 'self destruct' itself if it tried to go 14+ inches cause there is not that enough room to do so...so, the ford people changed the tooth count on several of the brass gears in the contact assemblies to go only 'half' as far....aha! now it goes only seven inches back and forth and nothing 'slams' into the auto or stick floorshift houseing (forward) or into the soft top stack (backward)...these BIRD ONLY contact assemblies bolt up exactly where the mercury ones did...can't tell..they look the same..and before you say..well then, instead of paying $4000+ for a 57 t-bird specific memory seat with the correct 'half as far' contact assemblies, i'll just find me a '57-'58 mercury turnpike cruiser with the mem seat-o-matic (for about $200) and then buy the bird contact asm.s and i'm home free....BUT--you can't find them anywhere at any price--been 'discontinued' FOREVER....i've never seen one for sale and i've been in this 'mess' for 45+ years..(but i have found a way to modify the mercury mem wire harness not to go to thee last 3 positions and all is cool....i'll e-mail you the wire diagram changes if you want >edmund.mlynek@sbcglobal.net.......bye ed