View Single Post
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 99.224.58.167
Old 10-05-2014, 12:54 PM

Terry64HT is on a distinguished road
Gary, I know you've been investigating this for some time, and certainly you are free to spend as much on your car in whatever way you wish, but I'm not aware of the type of failures you are having as being very widespread. I have never experienced the type of poor brake performance you describe, and am not aware of anyone I know having the issue. I believe the brakes were fairly common across the full sized Ford line at that time and have never seen anything saying 1964 Tbirds were much worse than others.
My understanding is that the move to disc brakes was more because of fade and repeated stopping performance not initial stopping power. There is a heck of a lot more friction surface area in brake shoes than disc pucks. Remember, braking is really only the conversion of rotational energy to heat. Discs dissipate that heat a lot better.

One thought is the famous reverse photo in the shop manual for the rear brakes. If someone installs them using the manual as a guide, they will be backwards and cause some of the issues you describe.

Even if you convert to front discs, you will still have quite a bit of the existing system.

Just some thoughts
Terry
64HT