View Single Post
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 174.45.155.196
Old 09-18-2015, 12:11 AM

HeadacheGuy is on a distinguished road
Garage
Yes on the viscosity theory. This is wear the Lucas comes in as it is a viscosity stabilizer. I actually run a my bird which has a little wear (cold bearing knock for a second on a really dry start) in the lower end so I run 10w-30 with a qt of LUCAS stabilizer. I bought it this way and actually have plenty of trust in it as it has been on many highway trips. My pressure will get a noticeable drop at about 600 RPM on a real hot day but only if I don't uses the Lucas. As far as filters go, I own a repair shop which is also a NAPA autocare center so I run a NAPA silver oil filter. Note I run the cheaper filter. Method behind madness (we actually proved it) is that higher $$ filters have a finer media for better filtration. Sounds like a good thing right? The down side is it takes longer for the finer filter to flow on cold fire up. On a really cold day we are talking about an extra 2 to 3 seconds before a manual gauge will show pressure. Cold starts ( oh hell.. ALL starts) are where most of engine wear occurs. The coarser (and cheaper) filters still filter down to a fine enough micron to prevent damage. This is to my knowledge to only time I will ever admit to saying cheaper is better. Sorry...standing on the soap box too long.....