View Single Post
  #11 (permalink)   IP: 108.35.7.12
Old 06-23-2017, 11:44 PM

paul2748 is on a distinguished road
Brute force is never the right way to go. If you looked, you would have found out that the splines were different (a problem with aftermarket wheels I am told) and a little judicious work with a file would have solved your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrajeff View Post
I have used two different steering wheels on my '57. I put a 1965 Mustang steering wheel on it several years ago. Straight bolt-on, but left a gap at the column where the base of the Mustang wheel was slightly smaller than the collar of the T'Bird column. I had trouble with the turn-signal cancellation sleeve, and may have not gotten it lines up properly.
More recently, I purchased the smaller diameter aftermarket T'Bird wheel. I don't think the splines are properly cut, as it was a difficult install - VERY hard to push the wheel home on the steering shaft. I ended up putting "anti-seize" compound on the shaft splines, and forced the wheel on 1/2 way using a hammer and a large impact socket to pound it on. Once half way on, I used a steering wheel puller to remove it, and then re-installed it (with anti-seize) and the hammer and socket. Not sure if it can ever come off again.