View Single Post
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 71.71.42.166
Old 10-25-2018, 09:07 PM

Yadkin is on a distinguished road
Garage
This is a huge issue with this engine since it puts way too much oil on the top end and drain-back isn't fast enough to keep up. When I rebuilt mine I researched this and found several articles that recommend restricting the oil passages to the heads.

After I did that my OE valve covers still leaked badly. The thin metal distorts well before achieving the factory specified torque. I've tried "spreaders" on the bolts but that only helped marginally. Using spreaders, a cork gasket, making sure the flange is straight, and using RTV black on both sides of the gasket, torquing to a lower value so as not to distort the cover, then waiting long enough so the RTV cures should work.

Since I want to remove my covers without having to scrape old RTV off the engine surface (tight engine bay, and risk getting pieces inside the engine) I found a set if vintage cast aluminium covers. The cast covers are able to hold the torque without deflection. I use cork gaskets and use RTV on the cover side only. No leaks for me.