View Single Post
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 72.228.10.39
Old 05-05-2019, 02:48 PM

johnpaulny is on a distinguished road
Garage
Thank you, I'm hoping it's the first problem you mention - running down battery and then starter not getting enough amperage, that's an easy fix.

I received some other information about the possibility of it being the starter, specifically, the bendix clutch intermittently malfunctioning. I'm considering this as a possibility because since I got the car several months ago, after excessive cranking and giving it a break between tries, I hear the starter "wind down", which is what I assume is the bendix clutch spinning to a stop after it disengages from the flywheel. I don't recall my previous 63 or 64 making that sound in between start attempts that required a lot of cranking.

I was just under the car removing the bolts that secure the starter. After removing the two with the easiest access I was surprised to find that the starter didn't budge one bit. There was still the third bolt in place, but I expected some movement, either swiveling on the remaining bolt or some separation from the flyweel housing where the bolts were removed. However, nothing, it seemed as if it's all one big piece. That's when I came inside for a break to look at pictures online, and read your reply.