Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Tech Forums > 2002-2005 Thunderbird Garage

2002-2005 Thunderbird Garage All Questions regarding maintenance, modifying, etc should be posted within.

interogations????????????????????????????????????? ???

This is a discussion on interogations????????????????????????????????????? ??? within the 2002-2005 Thunderbird Garage forums, part of the Tech Forums category; hello, my American friends, I am sorry for the translation, I am French and I do not speak well your ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 77.198.216.137
Old 11-30-2010, 02:57 PM

lecoq is on a distinguished road
interogations????????????????????????????????????? ???

hello, my American friends, I am sorry for the translation, I am French and I do not speak well your language, I seek much d' infos on Ford tbird, j' have a tbird of 1968, 4 doors it very beautiful but is consumed much fuel c' are one 429 Ci, I wanted to know if it were possible to put at the place of this engine an engine of 215 Ci, so yes which and which would be the modifications has to make, by advance I thank you for all information, my friendships of France to your beautiful country
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 24.153.174.210
Old 11-30-2010, 04:18 PM
J.A.F.T.O.

Firstperson is on a distinguished road
Bonjour!

I understand your problem, gas is very expensive over there in Europe. The Thunderbird was made in a time when gas was cheep so big motors were best. Not so now.

Smaller engines of today have the Horse power (PS) but not the Torque that you will need to get that big car moving. I think you will be very unhappy with your results after repowering the T-bird. Also, if you replace the engine with an engine that was not used in that type of car, the value of the car drops quickly. Others will see it as "not original" and be unwilling to pay the best price should you want to sell it. The engine compartment is big enough to put just about anything in there so your choice of engine is great, making it all work together is going to be the hard part(hooking up the transmission, cooling lines, etc.). I have no information for you on re-powering a T-bird down to a smaller motor because...will, it just isn't done. It's kind of sacreligious here in America to do that. If you want to know how to get 450 hp (ps) out of that Glamour-gal, I can help.

A suggestion. You may want to spend the money on another car to drive everyday that is cheep to gas up and save the T-bird for Sundays and special occasions, that is what I do. I don't like to put meaningless miles on my Glamour-gal.

If you want to replace the engine in your Glamour-bird with a small block of some type you may not like you bird any more.

Let us know what you decide to do and if we can help any further. Take care from America!

Good Luck (Bon chance)!
Lad
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 77.198.216.137
Old 11-30-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstperson View Post
Bonjour!

I understand your problem, gas is very expensive over there in Europe. The Thunderbird was made in a time when gas was cheep so big motors were best. Not so now.

Smaller engines of today have the Horse power (PS) but not the Torque that you will need to get that big car moving. I think you will be very unhappy with your results after repowering the T-bird. Also, if you replace the engine with an engine that was not used in that type of car, the value of the car drops quickly. Others will see it as "not original" and be unwilling to pay the best price should you want to sell it. The engine compartment is big enough to put just about anything in there so your choice of engine is great, making it all work together is going to be the hard part(hooking up the transmission, cooling lines, etc.). I have no information for you on re-powering a T-bird down to a smaller motor because...will, it just isn't done. It's kind of sacreligious here in America to do that. If you want to know how to get 450 hp (ps) out of that Glamour-gal, I can help.

A suggestion. You may want to spend the money on another car to drive everyday that is cheep to gas up and save the T-bird for Sundays and special occasions, that is what I do. I don't like to put meaningless miles on my Glamour-gal.

If you want to replace the engine in your Glamour-bird with a small block of some type you may not like you bird any more.

Let us know what you decide to do and if we can help any further. Take care from America!

Good Luck (Bon chance)!
Lad
thank you my friends for your answer, I know that this n' is not well to put another engine in this car, but I cannot have 2 cars and there I do not want to resell that, because it ŕppartenu with my father and before my large father, therefore for kept I must change the engine, and when I cannot lead any more I would give it to my son, I know well mechanics and I can make all the modifications, for infos l' gasoline is with 1.50€ the liter in France and in the USA with how much is the liter thank you with all for your information
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 69.149.94.4
Old 11-30-2010, 04:48 PM
J.A.F.T.O.

lecoq,

I may be able to help you after all, but not the way you think. I think we MAY be able to get you more milage by improving what you have.

Tell me first what kind of driving you do? City and congestion or highway/country road driving?

Gas here in Texas is currently $ 2.80(UDS) a gallon for premium octane. With 3 litres to the gallon thats .93 a litre, in euro thats about 1.25 euro. Not much difference.

Get back to me with the answer to my questions and I may have a link that will help you out some.

Lad
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 77.198.216.137
Old 11-30-2010, 05:01 PM

I do much city, and j' have a very cool control, yes it ny does not have much difference for the price of l' gasoline, I also thought l' to equip with the LPG (gas when known as you thank you)
  #6 (permalink)   IP: 24.153.174.210
Old 11-30-2010, 05:25 PM
J.A.F.T.O.

lecoq,

Instead of whimping out your T-bird, how about we go more efficient ! If you get more power out of the fuel you will use less fuel. A carburator is great on race day but not so much in traffic. fuel injection is better, more precise.

Ford FE EFI System [FORDFE] - $3,994.99 : Mass-Flo EFI, The World's Only True Plug and Play EFI System.

The link above is MASS-FLO, they make Multiport Fuel Injection systems that work for older muscle cars. I can vouche for these guys, I have this system on my 67. Better fuel management and performance with no cold start problems.

The link below is an article on the 700R4 4 speed transmission being fitted to a FE 390. It's what I have and one more gear takes away 900 rpm on the highway at 70 MPH, big improvement. Hughes Performance made mine, They can probablly make you one for that 429.

700R4 Transmission / 390 Ford Engine Combo - Custom Rodder Magazine

If you like what you see here's the link for Hughes Performance:

Welcome to Hughes Performance

Give them a look, I think it's a better way to go and will improve the value of your T-bird because you can keep the original trans to sell with the car if you ever do ( they didn't want my old C-6 trans when I purchased their 700R4). There are other modifications to make with the trans swap though; the drive shaft will have to be shortened and trans mount location need to be moved. If you have mechanics as you say, they can do it.

Think about it before you go and desecrate that beautiful work of art in your driveway.

Good Luck,
Lad
  #7 (permalink)   IP: 77.198.216.137
Old 12-01-2010, 02:12 AM

HELLO, THANK YOU FOR ALL THIS INFORMATION, I will study ALL that AND TO REFLECT, if you have a book (or a bond) for the mechanics of the tbirds any models I thank you, because in France one does not find a handbook d' workshop and the méchanisman of cars do not know these cars, still all my remerciments, if you want information on the cars méchanic man I am at your disposal sincere greetings
  #8 (permalink)   IP: 77.198.216.137
Old 12-03-2010, 05:58 AM

I am very interested by System EFI can you tell me Economies realized with this assembly I thank you
  #9 (permalink)   IP: 69.149.94.4
Old 12-08-2010, 06:05 PM
J.A.F.T.O.

lecoq,

I don't have any information on fuel ecomony because I don't drive the car that way. I drive for power and fun, not MPG. Sorry.

I will not be able to offer any information on fuel economy for quite some time as my bird is in Kansas in a friends barn/workshop and is being stripped to a rolling chassis for body and paint work sometime in March or April. Sorry again.

As far as finding a workshop manual, they are all over EBAY.com for anywhere from $5.00 to $40.00 depending on the condition. You can find original manuals or improved manuals, their there.

Good Luck,

Lad
  #10 (permalink)   IP: 79.83.142.16
Old 12-09-2010, 06:12 AM

ok thank you my friend