View Single Post
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 208.127.25.225
Old 04-18-2009, 06:06 PM

jrrbritt is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Car wont start, no spark

Hi all, hoping for some guidance. Starting my 57 t-bird (312 engine) for the first time in several years. I have changed all the fluids, carb is nice and clean, still the old battery but it has been charged and is enough to turn the engine. However it will not start, not even a catch or jump while turning.
So I got the tech manual and did the ignition system checks. Voltage drop to the resistor/ballast is in spec, though the wires are a little cracked the readings dont change when I flex them. resistance across the coil is good, so is the resistance through the main HT lead.
The only thing not in spec is the ballast/resistor. It was measuring too high with the OHM meter, so I cleaned it. Now it measures too low a resistance. Its off by .5 OHM, should be 1.3-1.4 and its .9 now. Is that enough to result in NO spark? It seems like I should be getting something. But I get no spark with the HT wire held next to ground, and nothing on the voltmeter at the end of the wire.
I can replace the resistor, but since its a special order part, I was wondering if there is anything else I should look at? Also, I noticed that the voltage at the ballast is 12 volts with the key in the "on" position, but it drops to 6 volts when I crank the engine. Is that normal?
Help is appreciated! Thanks.