Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Bullet Birds [1961-1963]

Bullet Birds [1961-1963] These Bullet Birds are definitely a collector's car, so why don't you show yours off in this forum or just ask members about them?

Tires And Brakelight

This is a discussion on Tires And Brakelight within the Bullet Birds [1961-1963] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Hi Everyone. Just joined your group and I'm very impressed with this websight. I have 2 questions regarding my 1962 ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 24.99.109.42
Old 03-19-2004, 03:33 PM

62 Bird is on a distinguished road
Tires And Brakelight

Hi Everyone. Just joined your group and I'm very impressed with this websight.

I have 2 questions regarding my 1962 T-Bird Coupe. I just purchased Good Year Infinity Radial Tires and would like to know what tire pressure would be good?

The second part is my driver's side rear turn signal flashes very dim. I have replaced the bulb, flasher, and brake light switch under the hood. The brighter element in the bulb will NOT activate.

Someone told me that there is a ground wire behind the rear bumper that has probably come loose or broken.

Is there anyway I can get this rear light to work properly without removing the bumper?

Any help would be appreciated.

Larry
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 205.188.116.134
Old 03-24-2004, 06:30 PM

tbird5866 is on a distinguished road
Only thing I can think of, off hand, is to supply another ground wire. See if it will brighten up with a hand held ground wire from the bulb base to the bumper itself.
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 65.160.10.52
Old 03-26-2004, 05:54 PM
A.J.'s Superior Automotive is on a distinguished road
Larry,
My '61 has a ground wire added to the Right tail light. I did not do it but It looks like someone just drilled a hole thru the light bucket all the way threw to the trunk. Lag screws on both ends. I could take a picture if you want but theres not much to see. (e-mail me for pics) I don't know If I would do it this way myself but it's been this way for at least 15 years. I would have never known It was there exept I just pulled the car apart for a paint job. My guess this is an old problem / fix. I bet there are a lot of cars out there with similar fixes that people don't even know about. The factory wiring on my car is in good shape. There is no Ground wires for the tail lights. The bumper is the ground. I think the problem lies in the way the light bucket is mounted in the bumper.

Need more info on the tires. Set them @ 35 - 40 PSI ( Don't exceed the MAX pressure on the side of the tire) and keep and eye on the wear. Mine wear well at 35 PSI. A good trick is to paint or mark the sides of your tires with a white marker like Shoe polish then go for a Sunday drive. Adjust tire pressure to keep the scrub marks on the tread section of your tires.
1957 Lincoln Premiere
1951 Willy's Wagon
1964 Nova
1963 Falcon
1969 Old's Delta 88 455 (For Sale)
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 24.99.109.42
Old 04-04-2004, 09:37 PM

62 Bird is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys for your help.

Any picks you can supply A.J. would be helpful.

Larry