Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Bullet Birds [1961-1963]

Bullet Birds [1961-1963] These Bullet Birds are definitely a collector's car, so why don't you show yours off in this forum or just ask members about them?

63 power steering noise

This is a discussion on 63 power steering noise within the Bullet Birds [1961-1963] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Hello All, This is my first time on this forum and I am glad to have found you guys. Have ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 205.201.193.70
Old 08-30-2010, 09:00 PM

marcmata is on a distinguished road
63 power steering noise

Hello All,

This is my first time on this forum and I am glad to have found you guys. Have a 63 Tbird and when I turn the steering wheel the power steering pump makes a lot of noise. When I bought it the seller told me the pump was recently changed out. I am looking for a little help to determine what the issue is and if it can be fixed or is the pump need replacing.

Thank you,
Marc
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 74.170.200.2
Old 09-06-2010, 10:48 PM
kc5mhb is on a distinguished road
If it makes you feel any better, the power steering pump in my recently acquired '63 is doing the same. I took the reservoir cover off (careful the spring, washer and especially the wing nut - mine fell in and I had to fish it out with my fingers) and noted there is a filter inside. Also I'm not sure of the proper level but mine appeared to be getting air in the pump as the fluid was foaming. I added some fluid to it and it got a little better but I think that it has air in the lines and it will take time to get that out. I'm planning on changing out the fluid and filter and going from there. As soon as my parts manuals and shop manual come in I'll know a little more about the car.
*SCT X3 Custom Tune
*GT Take-Off Front Bumper with CDC Chin Spoiler and GT Grill with Fogs
*GT Take-Off True Dual Exhaust System
*GT Rear Spoiler. (To do list: Black stripes, T-Lok, Light Bar)
1963 Thunderbird Landau, 390 4 barrel
1965 Mustang Coupe 6, manual everything
1966 Mustang Coupe 6, auto., Pony Package
1996 Bronco Eddie Bauer 351
2007 Expedition EL Limited 5.4
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 98.30.224.31
Old 09-17-2010, 03:12 AM

dragonfyire is on a distinguished road
noise

hey marc i had a similar issue with my 62 i tried several times to chainge the fluid to no avail, so i replaced it and still had the same noise and foaming issue what i discoverd was that my inlet line had goten twisted when the shop had rebuilt the engine and the seal of the housing was not solid so it was sucking in air,leaking and compressing the hose all at one time once i untwisted the line ciliconed the pump it stoped . hope this helps but i also know the ford steering pumps are notorious for whinning.
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 205.201.193.70
Old 09-18-2010, 08:06 PM

Power Steering Pump Replacement

Thanks for all the info, I think I am going to need to get the pump out and replace the seals, leaking from the shaft seal.

Has anyone removed a power steering pump, this doesn't look easy. The shop manual doesn't explain how to either. Any directions would be helpful.

Thanks, Marc
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 74.170.200.2
Old 09-18-2010, 09:41 PM
In the manual I have it just says:

Pump and fluid reservoir removal:

1) With a suction gun, remove as much fluid as possible from the reservoir.
2) Disconnect the 2 hoses at the pump and fasten them in a raised position to prevent fluid from draining out.
3)Loosen and remove the pump belt.
4)Remove the pivot bolt and the adjusting bolt, and lift out the pump reservoir and bracket.

Now that is from the '62 manual but mine is different. The pump and reservoir are separate but it still looks like it would just unbolt and come out from below the air conditioner compressor.
That being said, its pretty tight in there and you may have to try a few different tool combinations before you get one that works for you.
You know as hard as these cars seem to be to work on, I changed the plugs in about 30 minutes which I can't do it that quick in my Bronco with the 351. I love old cars.
*SCT X3 Custom Tune
  #6 (permalink)   IP: 205.201.193.70
Old 09-19-2010, 09:59 AM

I'm a real newbie

I guess I need the 63 T-bird for dummies book. How do you loosen and remove the pulley? And, which bolt is the pivot bolt and which is the adjusting bolt?

Thank you in advance as I feel real dumb asking these questions, but this is my first old car and it is really hard to see anything down there.

thanks, Marc
  #7 (permalink)   IP: 74.170.200.2
Old 09-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Nah its a learning process. It took me about a half hour to figure out how to get the bolts out of the fuel pump and that I had to remove the oil filter to get it out. I'll look at mine today and see how its bolted in there. I know its frustrating looking down in there and not being able to see how all that is put together.
*SCT X3 Custom Tune
  #8 (permalink)   IP: 173.74.104.18
Old 09-19-2010, 03:17 PM

Harley Eaton is on a distinguished road
The adjusting bolt is the one in the slot.. Remove the pressure line from the pump and remove the 5/8" fluid supply hose from the reservior, Remove the pulley by removing the 1/2" hex head bolt and pulling off the pulley (no problem there). Don't lose the spacer at the adjusting bolt location. Make sure your fluid supply hose is for hydraulic fluid - Not a water hose. Be careful not to cut the lip of the shaft seal when you assemble the pump.