Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Bullet Birds [1961-1963]

Bullet Birds [1961-1963] These Bullet Birds are definitely a collector's car, so why don't you show yours off in this forum or just ask members about them?

differences between a convertible and roadster?

This is a discussion on differences between a convertible and roadster? within the Bullet Birds [1961-1963] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Hey Guys, I'm interesting in buying a 3rd generation t-bird. What are the difference between a convertible and a roadster? ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 98.212.74.56
Old 01-22-2012, 11:35 AM

ringkingpin is on a distinguished road
differences between a convertible and roadster?

Hey Guys,

I'm interesting in buying a 3rd generation t-bird. What are the difference between a convertible and a roadster? Are these the differences:

3-2 carbs

rear seat covers

rear wheel skirts

is there anything I'm missing. How much more should I pay % wise for a real roadster. Is there reasons to not steer away from a convertible that is dressed up to be a roadster aside from price?

Thanks!
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 68.255.223.84
Old 01-25-2012, 02:26 AM

42 views, no replies? Nice...

I'm a 37 year old with the interest and means to carry on the heritage of these cool cars, I'd figure someone would chime in...
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 174.89.199.84
Old 01-27-2012, 12:46 PM

Ian M Greer is on a distinguished road
difference between convertable and sports roadster

First of all the later 62's and 63 roadsters were designated the vin # 3Y89 then the production number, this number is found on the Vin tage on the driver's door and is also stamped in three locations on the body 1- on the front support shroud in front of the battery 2- on the firewall ledge passenger side 3- under the front windshield panel stamped to the side of the passenger side grilling(that is a hard one to see) Beware the early 62 roadsters were still stamped the 85 in their vin stamped but can only be verified by sending away for the gate release (Martini Report) as to wether that perticular car was ordered with the sports roadster option . A roadster was equipped from the factory with Kelsey Hayes Wire Wheels , no fender skirts (because of clearence problems with the wire wheels , fiberglass toneau cover colour matched to the car which covered the back seat held in place by a footman's loop (latch) between the bucket seats and two chrome thumb scews on the rear back corners , Grab bar mounted under the dash on the passenger side again colour co-ordinated to interior colour , Roadster emblems on the two front fenders just in front of the wheel just below the contour line . The tri power option you mention was available on all models but is designated in the Vin plate as an M and not a Z don't be fooled by someone telling you it's an M optioned car if the Vin plate states Z this option is very often bolted on to a Z code car and price up saying the car can with it (Bigger Bucks) If any car is advertized as a roadster and any or all stamping do not match don't touch it . Hope this helps Ian M Greer
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 184.0.192.35
Old 01-27-2012, 01:10 PM
'62 Red Convertible !

insage2001 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Smile

I have a '62 convertable with Hayes wire wheels and fender skirts and toneau cover.
I don't have tri-power.
Wire wheels run just fine with the skirts
About the only way you can tell mine isn't a roadster is by the chrome plates
on the front fenders and on the middle of my toneau and of course the passenger grab handle.
Mine is appraised at $33,000 and if it was a roadster it would be about $45,000 I'm told.
GREAT FUN !!
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 174.89.199.84
Old 01-27-2012, 02:05 PM

Thumbs up

True original Kelsey Hayes Wires will not clear the fender skirts, if you research you will find it was not an option on the sports roadster . Having said that newer production wire wheels are made with the centers narrowed down so that the wires can clear the skirts . I for one like this but a lot of purists don't like the idea of partially covering the wires . Original wires were prone to failure (Elvis for one found the wheels would collapes with hard cornering . To the best of my knowledge Ford recalled them and installed thicker wire spokes in the wheels . Elvis was more a GM man (Cadillacs) needless to say this didn't sit well with him . The newer produced wire wheels have more spokes in them than the original designed Kelsey . I hope this clariefy's this point Regards Ian M Greer .
  #6 (permalink)   IP: 71.170.88.207
Old 01-27-2012, 09:23 PM

Harley Eaton is on a distinguished road
Here's my two cents: I don't believe any 1962 Roadsters will show VIN with 3Y89 because the "3" means 1963. Kelsy-Hayes wheels have 48 spokes.
  #7 (permalink)   IP: 64.251.145.8
Old 01-27-2012, 10:10 PM
'62 Red Convertible !

insage2001 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian M Greer View Post
True original Kelsey Hayes Wires will not clear the fender skirts, if you research you will find it was not an option on the sports roadster . Having said that newer production wire wheels are made with the centers narrowed down so that the wires can clear the skirts . I for one like this but a lot of purists don't like the idea of partially covering the wires . Original wires were prone to failure (Elvis for one found the wheels would collapes with hard cornering . To the best of my knowledge Ford recalled them and installed thicker wire spokes in the wheels . Elvis was more a GM man (Cadillacs) needless to say this didn't sit well with him . The newer produced wire wheels have more spokes in them than the original designed Kelsey . I hope this clariefy's this point Regards Ian M Greer .
Ian mine are original Hayes !
  #8 (permalink)   IP: 174.89.199.84
Old 01-28-2012, 08:36 AM

Smile

Harley, I stand corrected on the Vin numbers a 2Y89 for late produced 1962 sports roadsters and 2Y85 for early 1962 sports roadsters again veryified by Martini sheets it was ordered from the factory with the sports roadster package , and 3Y89 for the 1963 sports roadster . As for the wheels all I can say is check Fords ordering form (no skirts on the sports roadster ) As I said before aftermarket wire wheels were shortened in the hub area so that skirts could be used with the later aftermarket wheels. True Kelsey Hayes wire wheels have the KH stamped on the inside of the rim , I quess one possibility is newer centres on original Kelsey's if the fit . Ian
  #9 (permalink)   IP: 74.248.153.34
Old 01-29-2012, 11:54 PM

Ford blue blood is on a distinguished road
Roadsters

The fender lip was not drilled for skirt pins on the Sport Roadsters.
2005 50th Anniverary Edition Bird
1965 Special Landau
1960 2Dr Ranch Wagon
1957 2Dr Ranch Wagon
1957 Ranchero
1957 Retracable
  #10 (permalink)   IP: 98.212.74.56
Old 02-01-2012, 12:23 AM

Thanks a lot for the information. I'm having a friend check out a 64, 4th generation model this Saturday for me. I really like both the 3rd and 4th generations; it's almost a toss up as far as my tastes go. Thanks a lot again for the good info, it's hard to find this in a consice database or anything.