Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Bullet Birds [1961-1963]

Bullet Birds [1961-1963] These Bullet Birds are definitely a collector's car, so why don't you show yours off in this forum or just ask members about them?

Broken primary hood release cable

This is a discussion on Broken primary hood release cable within the Bullet Birds [1961-1963] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Hey guys Went to open my good and the release just pulled all the way out with zero tension on ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 166.147.97.146
Old 02-11-2012, 04:08 PM

ringkingpin is on a distinguished road
Broken primary hood release cable

Hey guys

Went to open my good and the release just pulled all the way out with zero tension on the cable. Uh oh... It looks like there are two primary releases in either corner on the front of the hood. Any ideas or tricks to open the first release? If not, I guess I'll just go digging. Any tips would be appreciated.
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 70.51.216.174
Old 02-11-2012, 10:16 PM

Ian M Greer is on a distinguished road
If you look through the grill top centre ,there is a bar that runs across which connects to the two hood locks to either side . Turn that bar to release the hood locks . I know on a 63 the bar is pulled outward I'm not sure on the 61 and 62 's with cable release . Trial and error . P/S I know the vendors have a reproduction of the cable and handle assembly , looks pretty good in the photo's. Hopes this helps , Ian M Greer
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 206.51.98.32
Old 02-13-2012, 08:51 AM

ringkingpin is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reply IAN. I actually found that latch before I rechecked this site. I was poking around and as soon as I took the time to actually look, it was very clear.
What happened was where the cable goes through the release arm, there is a little barrel that screws down on to the solid wire and that wire broke at the end. I was able to loosen all of the cable housing clamps, find another couple of inches and then put it all back together with no problems.