Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Bullet Birds [1961-1963]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Bullet Birds [1961-1963] These Bullet Birds are definitely a collector's car, so why don't you show yours off in this forum or just ask members about them?

About to buy a 63...

This is a discussion on About to buy a 63... within the Bullet Birds [1961-1963] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Hi Folks, First post, and looking for suggestions. I'm about to buy a 63 and I have questions. The car ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 173.81.68.40
Old 08-12-2012, 09:46 PM

dave boley is on a distinguished road
About to buy a 63...

Hi Folks,
First post, and looking for suggestions. I'm about to buy a 63 and I have questions. The car looks good but I have only seen pictures so far. It's 160 miles away and when I go I want to be up on what to look for and what to ask.

I'm a Ford guy and there have been four T-Birds in my family. I'm an old geezer and I have built many of the Fords I have has from wrecks and multiple cars to make one. I graduated from high school in 63 so you can see in part why I want one. I wanted one then but there was no way I could afford one as I went right into the Air Force. Yep, that's right, I want a piece of my youth back. I think the Bullet Noses Birds were one of the coolest generations.

This thing has me pumped so I need to know what to look for. For example, I didn't know they were uni-body cars. Are there places to get sheet metal and floor pans. What have people done to resto-mod these cars? Are there upgrades for disc brake systems. What about after market AC systems. What some of the places that you can still get stuff for these cars.

Later Folks...
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 174.125.215.220
Old 08-13-2012, 11:14 PM

BillinAl is on a distinguished road
Garage
Good to see you here! I've a '63 myself and like you I had to wait a long time for mine too.The less you have to do,the better.Almost every thing can be replaced other than the padded dash on the '63.It would be best if you can find an owner near you to go inspect the car with you.You seem to be an old hand at restoring,so you will recognize potential problems. There's lots of good cars out there so don't be rushed.Find and buy the very best you can afford because in the long run it'll be the cheapest. Good luck!--Bill
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 173.81.68.40
Old 08-14-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinAl View Post
Good to see you here! I've a '63 myself and like you I had to wait a long time for mine too.The less you have to do,the better.Almost every thing can be replaced other than the padded dash on the '63.It would be best if you can find an owner near you to go inspect the car with you.You seem to be an old hand at restoring,so you will recognize potential problems. There's lots of good cars out there so don't be rushed.Find and buy the very best you can afford because in the long run it'll be the cheapest. Good luck!--Bill
Hi Bill,
Thanks for the reply... Below is the link to the ad for the car. I'll be going to look at it tomorrow. If it is what it says it is and the uni-body structure is not rusted out any place I'm ready to buy it.

1963 ford thunderbird

Later...

Dave
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 173.81.68.40
Old 08-15-2012, 11:06 PM

Bought it today...

Hi Folks

Bought it today... The no rust thing was my goal. I got it for $3,000.00 and he threw in two Jukeboxes he had there that I can move pretty fast. It runs and drives decent but needs a lot of TLC. No rust in uni-body structure and it doesn't look as anyone has welded in panels. Re paint is not the greatest but maybe some time in the future. Going to run it as a survivor while I tinker with it.

Now I have to get rid of a few other vehicles I'll never get to in my lifetime.

Later Folks...

Dave
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 173.81.68.40
Old 08-18-2012, 05:03 PM

Need Some Help...

OK Folks, now that I have this thing I'd like to know if there are any sources for parts out there as well as what is available. If any of you have links to online sources I'd love to know about them.

Later Folks...

Dave
  #6 (permalink)   IP: 173.81.68.40
Old 08-21-2012, 10:07 AM

Is this forum dead???

I'm beginning to think there is nobody on this forum.
  #7 (permalink)   IP: 174.125.204.162
Old 08-21-2012, 11:39 AM

Garage
Vintage Thunderbird Club Dave,this site also has some very helpful members. Much knowledge there also. I'm old and retired but some folks have to work! LOL !! Maybe google up Jim Wulf web site. He has a good list of suppliers on his site and also a terrific bunch of info. Good luck!--Bill
  #8 (permalink)   IP: 173.81.68.40
Old 08-21-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinAl View Post
Vintage Thunderbird Club Dave,this site also has some very helpful members. Much knowledge there also. I'm old and retired but some folks have to work! LOL !! Maybe google up Jim Wulf web site. He has a good list of suppliers on his site and also a terrific bunch of info. Good luck!--Bill
Thanks Bill, I check that out.

Dave
  #9 (permalink)   IP: 108.209.127.20
Old 08-22-2012, 06:24 PM

Donald Felker is on a distinguished road
Garage
Just got a 64' with alot of rust...working it and the floor pans...just to say hi to you...am new hear as well...and looking to chat it up with others who have more experiance...with the flairbirds and thier repair...give a yell back...DF
  #10 (permalink)   IP: 173.81.68.40
Old 08-22-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Felker View Post
Just got a 64' with alot of rust...working it and the floor pans...just to say hi to you...am new hear as well...and looking to chat it up with others who have more experiance...with the flairbirds and thier repair...give a yell back...DF
Hi Don,

Won't be getting into the '63 until after this weekend. Planning on driving it around some until bad weather and then it goes into the garage for the Winter for this and that. No bad rust but a lot of fix it up stuff.

Dave
  #11 (permalink)   IP: 173.81.68.40
Old 08-31-2012, 09:54 PM

The Bird has come home to roost...

Hu Folks,
Last Saturday I brought the T-Bird home in my enclosed trailer. It is now safely here and unfortunately outside until I get the shop cleared out which I am now in the process of doing. I have been posting pictures on my Facebook page. See Dave Boley | Facebook where I will be posting progress pictures and eventually some video.

First thing will be to rebuild the carburetor as the accellerator pump is shot and probably the power valve. I also need to get the exhaust system completely replaced. I'd like to have something like Flowmaster Mufflers and no resonators on it. I want a good powerful sound, not a loud one. I also need to tear into the rear brakes as they are grabbing in reverse. The thing also needs a good thorough tune up. Then maybe we can get it out on the road.
  #12 (permalink)   IP: 173.81.68.40
Old 09-04-2012, 10:28 AM

Exhauts System...

Hi folks.
One of the first things that needs attention on this thing is the exhaust system. I need complete new system. I would love to have a set of headers on this thing if there is a set avaiolable that will work on it. From there on I'd like to have something like a flowmaster system, duals all the way back and no resonators.

My long range plans for this car is to make it a unique driver. An original restore job does not appeal to me simply because I would rather have a resto-mod with all the modern conveniences and comforts including, but not limited to, A/C, great sound system, cruise control, six way power seats, disc brakes, and the list goes on...

My immediate plans are to get it drivable which includes rebuilding the carb, points, condenser, cap and rfotor, plugs and wires plus a monster battery. Also exhaust system and brake work.

I'm wondering how much of this stuff can still be found from regular parts suppliers.

Later Folks...

Dave
  #13 (permalink)   IP: 174.125.194.63
Old 09-04-2012, 01:31 PM

Garage
Go to Jim Wulf's WWW.tbirdgarage.com and click on links and you'll find 171 sites available for parts etc.
  #14 (permalink)   IP: 173.81.68.40
Old 09-04-2012, 08:48 PM

Headers...

Hi Folks,
Does anyone know of any headers available that will work on the "63? If so where do I get them?