Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Bullet Birds [1961-1963]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Bullet Birds [1961-1963] These Bullet Birds are definitely a collector's car, so why don't you show yours off in this forum or just ask members about them?

'63 Hardtop quarter windows.

This is a discussion on '63 Hardtop quarter windows. within the Bullet Birds [1961-1963] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Hi, before I gain access to figure out why my quarter windows don't work, I'm wondering if there is a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 74.38.12.156
Old 02-03-2013, 03:38 PM

stove is on a distinguished road
'63 Hardtop quarter windows.

Hi, before I gain access to figure out why my quarter windows don't work, I'm wondering if there is a common "always fails" part that I should get in advance? In the hopes of having it taken apart for the least amount of time.
I can hear the motors running when I power them with the switches, and one has a wedge between the glass and interior panel, to keep it from free falling. If there is a common part, where do I source it?

Thanks!!
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 174.52.224.224
Old 02-05-2013, 11:44 PM

Garjus61 is on a distinguished road
If the motors are running chances are the rubber coupling connecting the motor to the regulator has cracked and broken. They're cheap and easy to replace. One of my windows was out of its track and had been wedged at the top to hold it in place. I have no idea what happened to it. It hadn't worked in so long and the motor had got wet, so it was rusted up. I took the motor apart (really easy) polished and lubed the shaft, put it back together (really hard) and it works great. I pulled the regulators and tracks out (something of a Chinese puzzle), cleaned and lubed them, replaced the rollers and they work great. Good luck.
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 74.38.1.78
Old 02-05-2013, 11:47 PM

stove is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garjus61 View Post
If the motors are running chances are the rubber coupling connecting the motor to the regulator has cracked and broken. They're cheap and easy to replace. One of my windows was out of its track and had been wedged at the top to hold it in place. I have no idea what happened to it. It hadn't worked in so long and the motor had got wet, so it was rusted up. I took the motor apart (really easy) polished and lubed the shaft, put it back together (really hard) and it works great. I pulled the regulators and tracks out (something of a Chinese puzzle), cleaned and lubed them, replaced the rollers and they work great. Good luck.
Excellent, I saw those in the Concourse parts catalog, I'll pick some up. Thanks!
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 174.52.224.224
Old 02-05-2013, 11:49 PM

Garjus61 is on a distinguished road
Oh, the source for the couplers and rollers - any of the T-Bird part shops should have them.
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 174.233.194.77
Old 02-06-2013, 04:28 PM

bondobird is on a distinguished road
Garage
leave em "cracked"

Looks like the rubber in your gear has split. Careful with the spring. Wear thick leather gloves for protection. Also, if you can garage your ride at night, I have found it helpful to leave the windows down just a little before you shut off. Seems to take stress off the motors. I have taken all my motors apart and back together again, they would tend to "lock up" before I started the "cracking" routine. Also run the windows up and down a few times now and then to keep em "in shape". Works for me.